This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Vegetarian Recipes

Vegetarian Irish Stew – In Honor of My Grandpa

Vegetarian Irish Stew with Sweet Potatoes & Tempeh

Vegetarian Irish Stew with Sweet Potatoes & Tempeh
Vegetarian Irish Stew was one of the first recipes I published on my blog. I posted it on St. Patrick’s Day, in honor of my Grandpa’s birthday. I’m not really sure if he understood this whole blogging thing that I had just undertaken, and he certainly had no idea what tempeh was, but my Grandma told me she read the post out loud to him and I hoped that it made him smile, tempeh and all.

I’m on my way to Chicago today to say good-bye to my Grandpa; he passed away on Friday. He had been in failing health for a few years now, but even though this wasn’t unexpected, his death has hit me hard. My Grandpa taught me the value of hard work, the power of a simple kind gesture, and the importance of taking time for others. I wish I had learned to have patience from him too–I’ll keep working on that one, Grandpa.

I already had posts written and scheduled for this week, so those will still be running, although I won’t be around to respond to comments or answer questions. It’s been a difficult few weeks for my husband and me, with his grandfather’s death two weeks ago and now my grandfather passing away too and I have truly appreciated all the comments and emails I have received–thank you.

Oh, and here’s the link to that Vegetarian Irish Stew recipe. I’ll be making it again this St. Patrick’s Day and remembering all the corned beef and cabbage dinners we used to have every year for my Grandpa’s birthday.

Vegetarian Irish Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Tempeh

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian
    March 5, 2013 at 7:38 am

I’m so sorry to hear of another loss in your family. I hope you get through the week and the travelling ok. I’m sure your grandpa must be very excited to be looking down on your blog right now and seeing the vegetarian Irish stew there again! Take care, Lisa x

Shelly
    March 5, 2013 at 8:26 am

I’m very sorry for your loss. I know it must be hard for you and your family. Have safe travels.

Kristina
    March 5, 2013 at 11:18 am

oh, Kiersten, I am so very sorry. I will be thinking of you and your family, sending comfort and positive energy to you.

I lost my Grandpa Z, one of my favorite people ever, several years back. I talk about him on the blog a lot, I miss him all the time, and have wonderful memories I hold onto. I love this tribute to your Grandpa.

Jackie @ The Beeroness
    March 5, 2013 at 11:29 am

My heart goes out to you, I hope that your time away goes as well as can be expected.

Ronnie Fein
    March 5, 2013 at 11:35 am

Sorry for your loss (and your husband’s). Treasure the memories. One of the best ways to do that is exactly what you are doing, using food and special recipes that bring your special person to mind.

Aleks
    March 5, 2013 at 11:44 am

I’m so sorry for your grandpa. I also lost people that were very important to me and I know any words can help in this situation. I’m sure he is in a better place now. Take care.

Pam @Mommacan
    March 5, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I am sorry for you loss. There is nothing in this world my gentle and nurturing than the love of grandparents. Their wisdom is so precious. God bless you.

Pam

Cat Davis - Food Family Finds
    March 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I just want you to know I’m thinking of you and hoping for a safe return home. ((hugs))

March 5, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Oh Kiersten I’m so sorry. I know we talked and you had a little warning but it’s never easy. I suppose we can only be thankful for the opportunity to say all we needed to say in those situations. He passed on my grandpa’s birthday; we lost him 12 years ago (seems like yesterday) and I’m sure he’ll show him the ropes if not prank him to welcome him to the grandpa gang watching over their awesome granddaughters. Big hugs to you and your family at this difficult time.

Kim of Mo'Betta
    March 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I just lost my Grandmother in October, and we were very close, so I understand what a difficult time this is. I am sorry for your loss.

Caitlin
    March 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm

i’m so sorry to hear about your loss, kiersten. thinking of you and your family. xo.

Ashley
    March 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandma recently and it hit me so hard as well. Thinking of you and your family

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health
    March 5, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I am sorry for the losses in your family. I hope they are both in a better place. Take care friend. XOXO

angela @ another bite please
    March 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm

oh i am so sorry to hear about your grandpa šŸ™ how special your grandma read him your first post…safe travels.

Maria Tadic
    March 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. I recently lost my grandfather and it’s so hard. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Katie (The Muffin Myth)
    March 6, 2013 at 3:43 am

Big hugs to you and your family. What a difficult time. Take care of yourselves šŸ™‚

Brenda Williams
    March 6, 2013 at 9:33 am

So sorry for your loss. Beautiful memories, like this stew will always keep your Grandpa alive in your heart. Hugs to you and your family.

March 6, 2013 at 10:18 am

Kiersten Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. This is a sweet and lovely tribute to your oma.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    March 6, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hugs and love to you, sweet K.

McKel | Nutrition Stripped
    March 6, 2013 at 11:54 am

Sweet tribute and sharing of memories, thoughts are with you and your family

Alissa N
    March 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I’m so sorry Kiersten, I hope you and your husband take whatever time you need. Lots of love coming your way from me and the whole community. <3

Jennifer The Quirky Momma
    March 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Kiersten, I’m so very sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I hope time will ease your pain.

Bernadette @ Now Stir It Up
    March 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Your Grandfather sounds like a wonderful person. The way you speak of him is extremely heart warming.

March 6, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa and the difficult past few weeks you’ve been having. I hope you take all the time off you need, and in the meantime we don’t mind being reminded of some of your delicious sounding recipes like this one that we may have forgotten about šŸ™‚

Scotia
    March 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I am sorry about your Grandpa. Our grandfathers can teach us things that our parents do not. My grandfather taught me to make bacon and eggs and fish and tame a squirrel and make blackberry jam and to sit on the front porch and listen to the baseball games. Remembering means they are still alive. I wish you well.

• 1 2