Vegan Garlic Bread with Kale Pesto
For the pesto:
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the garlic mixture:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic (from about 4-5 garlic cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 baguette, cut in half lengthwise
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Make the pesto. In the bowl of your food processor with the blade attachment, combine the kale, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic clove, salt and black pepper until almost smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Make the garlic mixture. In a medium bowl, stir together the olive oil, minced garlic, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Assemble the garlic bread. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the baguette halves cut side up on top of the foil. Spread the garlic mixture evenly over the baguette halves. Then spread the pesto over top of the garlic mixture. Depending on your taste preferences, you may not use all of the pesto for this recipe. You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
- Transfer the baking sheet to your pre-heated oven and bake the garlic bread for 12-15 minutes. The bread should be warm and starting to crisp and brown around the edges. Remove from the oven. Carefully transfer the garlic bread to a cutting board. Slice and serve.