To change up your classic potato dishes, why not dare to try sweet potatoes? These potatoes hold up to their name because of their beautiful orange color and sweet taste. Here, I have stuffed them with a delicious Tex Mex mixture.
Tex-Mex Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small red onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- coriander for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about an hour, or until potatoes are cooked through and can be pierced with a fork.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare the filling.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add jalapeno and garlic; sauté another minute.
- Add the black beans and sauté another 2 or 3 minutes. Add seasonings and cream cheese; sauté 1 minute.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Mash the innards with a fork.
- Add the black bean mixture to top, along with the corn.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve with salsa.