Appetizers/ Entrees/ Recipes/ Snacks/ vegetarian recipes

Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza

Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza sitting on wooden plate

It has come to my attention that other bloggers have already started posting pumpkin and apple recipes. Sorry guys, I’m not letting go of summer produce that easily. You’re going to have to drag me away from corn and zucchini the same way you have to drag your 3-year-old out of the toy department at Target–crying, kicking, and screaming, “I HATE YOU! YOU’RE THE WORST MOM IN THE WORLD!”

So yeah, while everyone else gets a jump start on fall, I’m going to spend the next two weeks enjoying the last bit of summer. I like to cook seasonally and summer produce is still in season! I promise you it is! Sure, you could be eating apples and pumpkin right now, but you’ll have many months to eat apples and pumpkin. What about corn?! You’re going to miss fresh corn in a month when you can’t buy it anymore.

You know what you should do? Make this Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza.

Sweet Corn & Sausage
I make my Fresh Corn, Poblano and Cheddar Pizza at the beginning and end of every summer, but I wanted to try something different, so I threw together this recipe last weekend. I love thyme and corn together and since thyme is one of the few things I’ve been able to successfully grow this summer, I thought I’d use some of that on my pizza. And then I crumbled up a Field Roast Italian sausage that I had leftover from another recipe and used that too. Field Roast is the only faux sausage I buy because it’s made with real ingredients, but if you’re partial to another brand, that will work too. This recipe is pretty effortless and pretty forgiving–adding tomatoes, zucchini, or bell peppers would be delicious too.

What else is there to say? I love this pizza and I love corn. And I’m not ready for fall yet!

Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza

Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza sitting on wooden plate

Pizza topped with sweet corn, vegetarian Italian sausage, and fresh thyme.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 1 tbsp olive oil + extra for brushing crust
  • 1 shallot, sliced
  • 2 ears corn, kernels removed
  • 1 vegetarian Italian sausage link, crumbled (I use Field Roast)
  • 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 prepared pizza crust
  • 3/4 cup shredded Fontina or mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pizza crust package.
  2. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for about 3 minutes, until it’s softened and just beginning to brown. Add the corn and sausage and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in the thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Place the crust on a baking sheet or pizza stone. Brush the top with olive oil, then layer half the cheese, half the corn and sausage mixture, then the remaining cheese and remaining corn and sausage on top.
  4. Bake for time indicated on pizza crust package, or about 10-15 minutes, until cheese has melted and corn is beginning to brown.

Stephanie @ henry happened
    September 2, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’ve got to give this whole pizza + corn thing a try! And I’ll cop to being one of those crazy bloggers already wanting to decorate pumpkins – but they’re not even in stores yet!

September 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Yeah, I wanted to do a pumpkin recipe for the book, but I couldn’t find any pumpkins yet either. Which is a good sign that I can hold off on posting pumpkin recipes on the blog too. ๐Ÿ™‚

JulieD
    September 2, 2013 at 10:53 am

I hear you! I’m doing pesto recipes this week. ๐Ÿ˜€

September 2, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I saw! We had the same thoughts on summer. ๐Ÿ™‚

JulieD
    September 2, 2013 at 10:54 am

PS this pizza is gorgeous!!

Amanda
    September 2, 2013 at 11:41 am

Sounds yummy! I keep hearing good things about Field Roast brand sausage, so I’ll have to give it a try.

September 2, 2013 at 8:49 pm

It’s so good! I don’t buy it all the time because it’s a little pricey, but when I need something sausage-y, I always get Field Roast.

September 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Looks really yum!

Vikki
    September 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Yes! Summer is NOT over!! Why is everyone saying “this is the last weekend of summer”? Keep those summer recipes coming! Thank you very much. ๐Ÿ™‚

September 2, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I know! Why are people eager for summer to end?! I like pumpkin, but not THAT much. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen
    September 2, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I’m 100% with you, I absolutely refuse to give into the pumpkin craze yet. I have tomatoes, zucchini and corn coming out of my eyeballs there’s still so much of it, no reason to open up the can of pumpkin. This is such a great use for all that corn ๐Ÿ™‚

September 2, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I have 3 more recipes lined up for the next 2 weeks using tomatoes, zucchini and corn, so I am with you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    September 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I’m not ready to let go of summer either! Love this pizza!

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
    September 2, 2013 at 2:05 pm

This looks SO good! And I completely agree that it’s not time for autumn recipes yet. I refuse to let summer go just yet! As long as the sun is still shining, I’ll happily eat this pizza (and um, maybe even if it’s not) ๐Ÿ˜‰

September 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one! ๐Ÿ™‚ We’ll have to both post as many summer recipes as we can to counteract the whole apple-and-pumpkin trend.

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen
    September 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I totally agree – that’s not to say I’m excited about fall, because I love pumpkin – but I am going to milk summer produce for all it’s worth. Summer just doesn’t last long enough! This pizza looks delicious, I’ve never tried corn on pizza but it’s a great idea!

September 2, 2013 at 8:40 pm

No, it doesn’t! And fall produce is great, but it’s just not the same. And not as much variety!

rogue1
    September 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Do you have a pizza stone you recommend? I’ve had two split and shatter. Plus. Corn. Get it while you can. I’d also like to point out…that summer doens’t officically end until Saturday September 22. (OK, for those of us in Northern Hemishpere.)

September 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Yikes! Well, I’ve had mine for about 8 months now and it’s still going strong. I think it was about $10 from World Market!

Ash-foodfashionparty
    September 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I hear ya….last night while pinning, the page looked orange to me..:)
    This pizza feels so fresh and light, love it.

September 2, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I know! I couldn’t believe all the pumpkin recipes I was seeing last week.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    September 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm

This sounds amazing!! I SO need to try Field Roast on pizza!

September 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm

It’s awesome on pizza. ๐Ÿ™‚ But it’s awesome on just about anything!

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board
    September 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I totally agree – I’m not ready to give up corn yet! But I do this every year hanging on to summer produce and then by the time I’m ready to post pumpkin recipes I feel like everyone’s sick of them already, so I might have to start a liiittle earlier this year. I always want to buy those Field Roast sausages but never have any ideas for what to do with them – pizza is a great one!

September 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Yeah, it seems like everyone posts the pumpkin stuff earlier and earlier. It’s like how they start selling Christmas stuff in August now. I remember being completely burnt out on seeing pumpkin recipes by mid-September last year!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen
    September 2, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Wow, this looks amazing. I embarrassed about how little fresh corn I’ve eaten this summer…I need to make this before it’s too late!

September 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I try to buy fresh corn at least once a week. I’m a little obsessed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    September 2, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I’ve been offline for a while and now I’m back to your delicious recipe!!! Yummy corn pizza ๐Ÿ™‚

ps: I can’t fathom the idea of letting summer go, just yet. NO NO NO ๐Ÿ˜€

September 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I know, right? Summer doesn’t last long enough!

Ashley
    September 3, 2013 at 7:17 am

Completely agree! I’m refusing to move on to pumpkin and apples too … at least for just a little longer! I have to get in as much as I can of the last of summer produce before it’s too late : ) This pizza sounds delicious – anything with fresh corn is a very good thing in my book!

September 5, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I think I might do some apple-y things soon, but not pumpkin. Not when it’s still this hot out. It’s just wrong!

Caitlin
    September 3, 2013 at 9:55 am

i agree. summer isn’t over yet! don’t give in to pumpkin and apples yet.

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    September 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I’m dying to try Field Roast–I’ve heard such good things! I have fresh corn in the fridge so this is totally happening in the near future ๐Ÿ™‚

September 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Oh, it’s SO good, you need to buy some immediately! ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t buy it all the time because it’s a little expensive, but sometimes it’s fun to have a sausage sub. Their hot dogs are really good too.

ashley - Baker by Nature
    September 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This pizza makes me want to scream… for joy and love and hunger! It just looks so damn good, K!

September 5, 2013 at 9:22 pm

You are passionate about your pizza!

Liz
    September 4, 2013 at 1:01 am

Right on, sistah! Keep on keeping on! ๐Ÿ™‚ As is evident by all the previous comments, you are NOT the only one digging her heels in, trying to keep summer (and it’s lovely produce) from turning into Fall. I’m in an admitted stage of denial over this, and I’m glad I’m not the only one. I realize the ludicrous nature of my pig-headed, stubborness over this unwinnable situation, but I am NOT ready to say goodbye to my long, long sunny days, and the wonderful sense of happiness and contentment that comes with them. I’ve come to the conclusion that I function much better and am MUCH more pleasant to be around when the sun is high in the sky so saying goodbye is NEVER easy for me. So, PLEASE, keep the summer recipes coming! (And, I have not eaten NEARLY enough summer produce! Where did all my time go??)

September 5, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I hate the heat, I hate the humidity, I’m not a fan of the bugs, but summer produce is so superior to produce from every other season. YEAH, THAT’S RIGHT! I said it! I feel like people make a big deal about pumpkin because, really, what else is there? Root veggies? Yay turnips? They got nothing.

Alissa N
    September 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

It always amazes me how quickly people jump on the pumpkin train. But I do kind of have to admit I am a total and complete sucker for pumpkin stuff. I agree though that I am going to eat as much summer produce as I can while I can. Because apples and pumpkin are going to be all there is in a short time.
    This pizza looks incredible, I wish I was eating it right now. Can you figure out how to email food? Because I would rather appreciate that ๐Ÿ˜‰ I would have a long order for you!!

September 5, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Oh yeah, I love pumpkin too, but: CORN! Just because September is here doesn’t mean we should forget about corn. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ
    September 4, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I’m definitely up for more corn! And to try out the combination corn/veggiesausages. I also do not buy faux sausages, I’ll give them a try with this Field Roast.

September 5, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I like Field Roast because it’s made with veggies and grains. I think it tastes much better than the processed soy sausages too!

September 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Haha, I just read this post and noticed that I started my post today the exact same way…glad you’re still holding onto summer produce too! Thanks for the idea of putting crumbled Field Roast sausage on a pizza…I always want to buy them but I never have good ideas for ways to eat them!

September 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I like using them with pasta too. I just make a basic jarred marinara sauce, sautรฉ some veggies with the sausage, and toss it with whole wheat pasta. So easy!

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    September 4, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Amen! I am right there with you. I am NOT ready for fall and you won’t see a pumpkin recipe on my site until October.

September 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm

High five! ๐Ÿ™‚ I might do apples in September, but no pumpkin.