Entrees/ Recipes/ Sides/ vegetarian recipes

Whole Wheat Rotini with Broccolini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Whole Wheat Rotini with Broccolini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Whole Wheat Rotini with Broccolini & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
This meal will take you 25 minutes to make, start to finish. Prep time included. I felt the need to state that right off the bat. 25 minutes! For a delicious home cooked dinner!

One thing I never hear people say is, “You know what I need? I need some complicated recipes that take a lot of time to make. And they should have really long lists of ingredients too!” No, everyone wants easy. Not Taco Bell easy, but who wants to come home from work and spend 2 hours cooking dinner? No one! I’m a food blogger and cooking is kind of my job and even I don’t like spending too much time on one meal.

Whole Wheat Rotini with Broccolini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
So this recipe is simple. And there aren’t many ingredients either. (Woo hoo!) Although I made this with whole wheat rotini, you can use any kind of pasta you have on hand. If you don’t want to buy broccolini, use a crown of broccoli instead. You can sub out the pine nuts with walnuts or almonds. This recipe is agreeable like that.

Are you looking for more 30 minute or less recipes? Well hey, I just happen to have some! Here are 10 more quick, easy meal ideas:

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies
Baby Bella and Kale Casserole
Thai Red Curry Soup
French Bread Pizza with Pesto & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Spicy Mango Pizza with Black Beans & Zucchini
Stovetop Pesto Mac
Loaded Veggie Nachos with Portabella Mushroom Meat
Veggie & Tempeh Sloppy Joes
Pear & Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Mushroom & Zucchini Quesadillas with Cilantro Pesto

Do you have a favorite quick, easy vegetarian recipe? Share it in the comments below–links are welcome!

Whole Wheat Rotini with Broccolini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Whole Wheat Rotini with Broccolini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

An easy, delicious pasta dinner that’s ready in about 25 minutes. If you can’t find broccolini at your grocery store, use a crown of broccoli instead.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 8 oz. whole wheat rotini
  • 1 bunch broccolini, ends trimmed
  • 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/4 c. pine nuts
  • pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1/2 c. sliced sun-dried tomatoes
  • salt + pepper to taste
  • shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese (as much or as little as you like)

1. Cook rotini according to instructions on package. One minute before cook time is finished, drop broccolini into pot. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until fragrant. Stir in pine nuts and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook about 2 minutes more. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, pasta and broccolini, and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Divide into bowls and garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.

February 4, 2013 at 8:44 am

Yum! The addition of pine nuts always makes me think fancy pants but I’m pretty sure that’s just me.

February 4, 2013 at 9:19 am

I have to admit, usually when a recipe calls for pine nuts, I substitute it with something cheaper. But I found a huge bag of pine nuts for really cheap, so I’ve been going to town with them lately. Going. To. Town.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
    February 4, 2013 at 9:10 am

Such a gorgeous recipe! I know my family would love this!

Dulcie @ two tarts
    February 4, 2013 at 9:30 am

This looks great… And my fancy-pants 3-year-old loves pine nuts so that is a win!

February 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

Ha! You have clearly raised him right. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cassie | Bake Your Day
    February 4, 2013 at 9:32 am

Making this for dinner tonight. So good, Kiersten!

February 4, 2013 at 9:46 am

Yay! I hope you like it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Caitlin
    February 4, 2013 at 9:54 am

i feel the same way. i HATE complicated recipes that have a million ingredients and long prep and cook times. i’m a simple girl who likes to be eating 45 minutes after entering the kitchen.

i love broccolini but never think to buy it. i can imagine it tasting perfect with the sun-dried tomatoes. i’m making a note to pick those up at the grocery store this week!

February 5, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Yeah, 9 times out of 10, if I see a recipe with a loooong list of ingredients, I won’t make it. I’m sure I’m missing out though. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeanette
    February 4, 2013 at 9:55 am

I love how quick, easy and healthy this recipe is! I haven’t made broccolini in a while, but am going to hunt for it this week.

February 4, 2013 at 10:32 am

What a great way to perk-up this dreary winter day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking
    February 4, 2013 at 11:15 am

This looks so delicious, Kiersten! Lovely meatless meal. Gotta try it soon!

a farmer in the dell
    February 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I make a similar pasta. So simple and delicious. You have inspired me to make it soon! happy monday!

Averie @ Averie Cooks
    February 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

the veggies are so gorgeous that they almost look fake! your photography is just stunning! and so is the recipe! love sundrieds!

February 5, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thank you! It was such a gray, icky day out, I was sure the pictures would be terrible–I was pleasantly surprised when I opened them up to edit!

Maria Tadic
    February 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm

You’re hilarious! I don’t like spending that much time in the kitchen either… plus I feel like the more time in there, the more dishes are used. And dish washing…. not a fan!

February 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm

My husband and I made a deal when we first moved in together–I cook, he does the dishes. It works out pretty well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    February 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I love dishes like this. I rarely make them at home, but I often order things like this when I go out to eat.

Jackie @ Domestic Fits
    February 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Ha! You’re so funny, I always feel like I have to apologize to people for my long and complicated recipes because apparently not everyone wants to spend all day in the kitchen (whaaaaa?) But I can always use a great quick meal too. This is beautiful!

February 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I always feel bad when I post something that has a lot of steps. I’m particularly fond of roasting ingredients beforehand, caramelizing onions or shallots, etc. I can just see people rolling their eyes at me from behind their computer screens. And FWIW, I don’t think your recipes are complicated!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    February 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Pinned and will be eaten stat. Good Lawd, you know your way around some food!

February 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Well thank you! ๐Ÿ˜€

February 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Simplicity at its BEST! The photos really have me DROOL…

Batya
    February 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm

25 minutes?! Hey, I’ve got 25 minutes. Looks delicious! Thanks, Kiersten.

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board
    February 4, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I’ve never tried broccolini but if it tastes as good as it looks in these photos, I need to change that! Love inexpensive but tasty dishes like this!

February 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm

It’s so good! It’s like a more mild, tender form of broccoli.

Stephanie @ henry happened
    February 4, 2013 at 9:26 pm

yay for easy recipes! And pasta is always a winner in my book – though I oddly dislike rotini. I’m a penne gal. And I thought your chili was pretty darn easy too – and it only took about 30 minutes!

February 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I feel that way about spaghetti! I don’t know why. I mean, pasta is pasta, right? It’s made with the same ingredients! So why do I like every other shape of pasta, but I find spaghetti completely unappetizing?

DessertForTwo
    February 4, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I have a complaint. This recipe is too simple, too quick, and too easy. Kidding! I love this meal! I adore broccolini, thanks for reminding me to buy some next grocery run ๐Ÿ™‚

February 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Ha! Sadly, I was kind of half expecting a serious comment like that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

February 4, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I love broccolini and sundried tomatoes! Yum, I could see eating this on a busy night. I buy the whole wheat rotini, but I wish they’d branch out beyond the 4 whole wheat pasta shapes.

February 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm

That’s so funny, I was thinking the same thing when I bought the rotini! Well, there are some more expensive brands that have different shapes at my grocery store, but I’m too cheap to buy them. ๐Ÿ™‚ So rotini it is!

mjskit
    February 4, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Easy and so good! We love eating vegetarian pasta recipes like this! Looks delicious!

Anna @ Hidden Ponies
    February 5, 2013 at 12:15 am

I love weeknight dinners like this – perfect!

Daria
    February 5, 2013 at 7:19 am

I love whole wheat pasta, although all my life I have been eating white pasta. Now, I can’t even imagine going back to it. And I love broccoli:) So I will probably try this recipe:D Beautiful photos, by the way .

February 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I hope you like it! ๐Ÿ™‚ It seems like a lot of people dislike whole wheat pasta, but I’m with you–I prefer it!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.
    February 5, 2013 at 8:06 am

great looking girl

Carolyn
    February 5, 2013 at 8:44 am

I can honestly say that I have never used broccolini at home. I should, though, it always looks so good!

February 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I kind of forget about broccolini. I almost made this with broccoli, but then I thought, hey, I’ll use broccolini instead! I don’t know why I don’t cook with it more often…