Sponsored/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Roasted Chia Cauliflower

Roasted Chia Cauliflower Recipe

Roasted Chia CauliflowerSponsored RecipeIn case you haven’t noticed, I’ve been on a little bit of a chia kick lately. I put those crazy little seeds on and in just about everything. Did you know that Aztec warriors ate chia seeds before battle? If they can fuel warriors in battle, surely they can fuel me while I stand around in the kitchen doing the robot while waiting for onions to caramelize. (Onions take a long time to caramelize!)

My favorite way to use chia seeds is to throw them in a smoothie or juice, but you can do so many other things with them too. Use them as an egg substitute! Put them in homemade granola bars! Make chia pudding! Stir them into oatmeal for breakfast! And they also make a nice crunchy topping to this Roasted Chia Cauliflower.

Health Warrior Chia SeedsRoasted Chia Cauliflower
I make roasted cauliflower all the time, so when I saw this recipe from Health Warrior, I knew it was kismet. Chia and cauliflower? Together? This recipe was made for me. Cauliflower is healthy, but chia seeds add an extra boost of nutrition. As a vegetarian, I don’t eat fish, so I have to get my Omega-3 fatty acids from non-fishy sources; I used to use flax seeds, and while I still like those, I’ve switched almost entirely to chia seeds because, unlike flax, chia doesn’t need to be ground in order to get the nutritional benefits from it. Chia also has protein, fiber, and magnesium. All good things!

Before roasting the cauliflower, you make a chili-infused oil by heating olive oil with a pinch or two of red pepper flakes. This gives the cauliflower a little bit of a kick. After tossing the florets in the oil, you sprinkle them with chia seeds. Don’t just dump them on there or they won’t stick! The seeds get crispy as they roast in the oven. Roasted cauliflower was always one of my go-to side dishes, but now I’m going to be adding chia to it whenever I make it. I served these with some homemade peanut sauce on the side. Delicious!

Roasted Chia Cauliflower
If you’re still not ready to jump onto the throwing-chia-seeds-in-everything-you-make train, Health Warrior makes tasty little 100 calorie Chia Bars too. (And you can win some on the Marketplace this month!) Remember a few years ago when 100 calorie snacks were all the rage? But you’d eat them and it would be completely unsatisfying because they were just sugar and artificial flavors and preservatives? Um yeah, these are not that kind of 100 calorie snack. They’re made with real, whole food ingredients, including 4 grams of protein and fiber. We brought them in the car with us on our road trip to Atlanta and instead of stopping for junk food, we ate Chia Bars. (I bet Aztec warriors ate Chia Bars on their road trips too.)

If you like Health Warrior on Facebook, you can vote for the next flavor for their Chia Bars! And when you vote, you’ll be entered to win a year’s supply of Chia Bars and seeds, plus 3 months with a health coach.

Roasted Chia Cauliflower

Roasted Chia Cauliflower Recipe

Chia seeds add a little bit of crunch to this roasted cauliflower recipe. Slightly adapted from Health Warrior.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • a pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
  • salt + pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400ยบF.
  2. Heat olive oil and pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 3 minutes to infuse the flavor of the pepper into the oil. Set aside.
  3. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Transfer cauliflower to the baking sheet and drizzle with infused olive oil. Toss with tongs to coat. Sprinkle chia seeds over the cauliflower and add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Bake cauliflower for 20-30 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to brown.

Disclosure: Health Warrior compensated me for my time making and photographing this recipe. I’m thrilled to work with them because I was already a fan of their products. (You know, the whole chia kick I’m on right now.)

Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today
    June 13, 2013 at 8:39 am

I use chia seeds as well, never thought of adding it to cauliflower, usually we add crumbs with melted butter. Your version is definitely healthier.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    June 13, 2013 at 9:22 am

This sounds great! I have been wanting to incorporate chia seeds into my diet, but haven’t been quite sure where to start. This sounds like a great recipe to try them out with :).

Martina
    June 13, 2013 at 9:26 am

Chia seeds are one of those products I’ve heard so much about on the internet and in magazines but rarely do you actually see good suggestions for how to use them. If I can find them for a decent enough price I think I’ll give this ago – I could do with some warrior fuel too ๐Ÿ™‚

Martina

June 14, 2013 at 7:09 pm

They’re really pretty versatile, since they don’t have much of a taste on their own. You can stir them into oatmeal, puree them into smoothies, bake them into muffins or breads…

June 13, 2013 at 9:33 am

You just reminded me I forgot to take my chia shot this morning…hang on…okay, back. (I seriously got up and took it. I’m a nerd) I take chia everyday. Usually in something soft and if I don’t have something like cereal or a smoothie to put it in then I’ll just take a swig of water and pop 1/2 tablespoon on it’s own. (Hence “chia shot”) I wonder if you could bake them onto the top of bread like sesame seeds. Hmmm….

June 14, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I think that would work! Well, now I’m curious…

Suzanne
    June 13, 2013 at 9:33 am

Mmm chia! I love sprinkling those awesome seeds on my fruit especially- gives it a nice subtle crunch!

Maria Tadic
    June 13, 2013 at 9:59 am

Ok…you gotta tell me. How do you make an egg substitute with chia seeds? Is it like flax seeds and u mix them with water???

June 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Yup, same way as the flax kind. ๐Ÿ™‚ Apparently you can do with hemp seeds too, although I haven’t tried it!

Grace @ FoodFitnessFreshAir
    June 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

Love roasted cauliflower! The chia add a nice splash of color here, and of course a boost of nutrition too.

Grace @ Perpetual Nomming
    June 13, 2013 at 10:39 am

I need to broaden my perspective on the uses of Chia seeds! All I really use them for at the moment, are for breakfasts. Will try this recipe though!

June 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Yeah, I haven’t used them in many savory dishes, but now I’m going to start. ๐Ÿ™‚

Caitlin
    June 13, 2013 at 10:42 am

i never would have thought to add chia seeds to caulifower! great way to make a healthy dish even healthier!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    June 13, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I love roasted cauliflower; I could eat that entire bowl! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mary Beth Elderton
    June 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Excellent. I have a bag of Chia seeds that I have no real idea what to do with. This will be a nice side for dinner tonight.

June 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I’ve never thought to put chia seeds on veggies. Soo, so smart!

JulieD
    June 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Love this! I totally have to try this soon!!

dixya| food, pleasure, and health
    June 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I use chia seeds a lot in my smoothies – love roasted cauliflower will try this next time

Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries
    June 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Ingenious! I am obsessed with roasted veggies, but have never thought to add chia seeds. What a nice way to boost the nutrients, and add a little crunch!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    June 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I would have NEVER thought to add chia to roasted veggies! How clever! Is there anything those little seedies aren’t delicious on? They’re the best! Just tweeted this ๐Ÿ™‚

June 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for the tweet! And I agree, chia seeds are definitely the best. ๐Ÿ™‚

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan
    June 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I’ve never thought to put those babies on my veggies, but now I’m intrigued!

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    June 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm

This looks so good! I need to pick up some cauliflower so I can try this out.

Nancy/SpicieFoodie
    June 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I’ve never cooked with chia seeds and know you’ve got me interested. Roasted cauliflower sounds like a great change from steamed. Thanks for sharing Kiersten;)

June 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I never steam my cauliflower anymore because I love it so much when it’s roasted. It’s so good!

June 14, 2013 at 12:04 am

Love the idea of adding chia to the veggies. Must give it a try too,

Daniela @ food recipes HQ
    June 14, 2013 at 6:00 am

I can’t believe I haven’t tried roasted cauliflower before! Chia seeds… Always saw them soaked in liquids, this is new and really interesting!

June 14, 2013 at 6:29 pm

You should–cauliflower is so good when it’s roasted! The flavor really mellows out.

Stephanie @ henry happened
    June 14, 2013 at 11:28 am

is there anything better than roasted cauliflower? I think not. And I’m down with the little chia seeds in everything except kombucha. Have you tried that? Seriously, so gross, like drinking slime.

June 14, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I haven’t had it in kombucha (because: kombucha. ick, nast.), BUT I love chia seeds in water or juice. I like how slimy they get. It’s like Jello! That’s vegetarian! And drinkable!

Hazel @ fresherfood
    June 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I keep reading great things about roasted cauliflower. The last recipe I read, involved vegan cheese which I wasn’t too keen on. This looks amazing! I’ve just created a recipe box and this is the first recipe I’ve popped into it! Thanks!

June 14, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Roasted cauliflower is amazing stuff–definitely give it a try! Even with just a little salt and pepper for seasoning, it’s delicious. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sonnet
    June 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm

What a fun recipe! I have been on a cauliflower kick lately and I never even thought about adding chia seeds! This is a must-make! ๐Ÿ™‚

June 14, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Me neither, and I add chia seeds to everything. ๐Ÿ™‚

Joanna
    June 15, 2013 at 3:19 am

I recently made your recipe for chia seed pudding (for breakfast, no less) and it was delicious! Looking forward to trying this recipe too.

June 18, 2013 at 9:28 pm