Recipes/ Sides/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples
Last week I asked about brussels sprouts on my Facebook page. And you have strong feelings about them! Many of you had a similar experience of hating them when you were kids and loving them as adults. I liked pretty much every vegetable as a child, but brussels sprouts? Those I just would not touch. They were bitter, awful, nasty little vegetables.

I don’t know what persuaded me to try them again as an adult, but I did and I realized that, like so many other foods, when cooked right, brussels sprouts are delicious. I still hate steamed sprouts, but when they’re sauteed, they’re pretty decent. And when they’re roasted, they’re even better. In fact, they’re so good roasted that I rarely make them any other way.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples Ingredients
When you roast brussels sprouts, that objectionable bitter flavor disappears. The outer layers get a little bit browned and crispy. And everyone loves browned and crispy! My favorite thing to do with roasted brussels sprouts is to pair them with sweet flavors (like in my Brussels Sprout & Grape Galette). Usually I just go for one sweet addition, but this time I added three: dried cranberries, apples, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Is it a little much? I don’t think so, although I did worry that it would be. I was going to add two of the above, but my husband insisted that I add all of them. And since he was right about the Roasted Poblano Mac & Cheese, I figured I should trust him on this one too. (Although this is also the guy who puts maple syrup on hash browns…)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples
If you’re still a little bit dicey about giving brussels sprouts another try as an adult, this is a good recipe to start with. Because there’s a lot of sweetness to counteract the brussely-ness. It’s a beautiful fall side dish and it would look pretty fabulous as part of a Thanksgiving spread.

Also, brussels sprouts look like tiny adorable cabbages. How can you say no to wee bitty cabbages? You can’t!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples Recipe

An easy fall side dish that combines roasted brussels sprouts and apples with walnuts, cranberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

• Yield: 4

• 1 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
  • 1 apple, cored and sliced (Fuji or Braeburn works well)
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • salt + pepper to taste
  • 1/4 c. dried cranberries
  • 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1 tbsp. maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Toss brussels sprouts and apple slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until brussels sprouts are tender and browned on edges, stirring halfway through cooking time.
  3. Transfer brussels sprouts and apple to large bowl. Stir in cranberries, walnuts, and maple syrup.

Jenn
    October 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I’m not a brussels sprouts fan, but you make them look appetizing!

Courtney Rae Jones
    October 12, 2012 at 11:59 pm

It’s so true! I HATED brussels sprouts as a kid. But mom and gramma always served steamed brussels (from the frozen kind) and they were soooo slimy! Eww!

But last year, I decided to try roasting fresh ones with some maple and vanilla – and they were SO good. Who knew!? 🙂

October 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I thought maybe it was my tastebuds when I was younger that made me hate them, but last year I tried steaming them just to see–nope, they were bad. Really bad. Roasting is totally the trick.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    October 14, 2012 at 5:18 am

So true, roasting brings out the best in brussels sprouts.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.
    October 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm

i am SO loving this one!

Natalie
    October 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I don’t think I ever had brussels sprouts as a kid because my mom hated them, so I always assumed I didn’t like them either, but tried them a few years ago and loved them! A love a bowl of roasted brussels sprouts with just some salt and pepper, but I also love the sounds of this version!

October 15, 2012 at 8:22 pm

There were so many things I didn’t think I liked because my mom never made them! It’s funny how our tastes are so influenced by our childhoods.

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    October 14, 2012 at 9:19 pm

This looks so pretty and full of fall flavors! Adding an apple to anything instantly makes it better!

October 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm

MMM, I love sprouts in any way. Baking is one of the best way to prepare veggies along with steaming.

Jad
    October 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Love this recipe!

Carolyn
    October 18, 2012 at 5:00 am

I’m one of those weirdos that have always liked Brussels sprouts. Still, roasting them does bring out the best flavour!

marla
    October 18, 2012 at 6:45 am

I have never paired apples with brussels sprouts ~ but now it is essential I do!

October 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm

You must! It is one of my favorite fall ingredient combinations.

Suede
    October 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm

This looks amazing! I am salivating!

October 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Wow, that looks good! OK, I’m going to do it. I’m going to try brussels sprouts!

October 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

You’ve never tried them?! Oh, you should! (Says the blogger who has never tried avocado.)

Emma
    October 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I ‘m a fan of cabbage and apple together and as you say Brussels sprouts are just mini cabbages! I’m sure I’ll love this 🙂

October 19, 2012 at 9:50 pm

One of my favorite recipes (that I haven’t made in so long!) is sauteed cabbage and apples over egg noodles. There are other ingredients involved too, but those are the main ones. And it sounds strange, but it is so good! Adding a little sweetness to savory dishes is always yummy.

Laura
    October 26, 2012 at 12:04 am

This was so amazing! I added a little coconut oil to the olive oil and the fuji apple was pretty sweet so I didn’t use the maple syrup. This would be a great side dish for the Holidays too!!

October 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

Mrs. K.
    October 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Very funny, I posted about brussels sprouts on my blog on the 12th! I really think the trick to brussels sprouts is adding some sweetness and roasting. We love them with maple syrup and plenty of butter. Never did like them as a child either, same with cabbage, but I just love both veggies now.

October 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

Yup, they are totally best when you roast them!

Sherry (BTLover2)
    October 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Just made this dish and it is simply outstanding! I loved it! I ate the entire bowl (it was my dinner). Excellent recipe! Thanks so much!

October 29, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I think I could eat a whole bowl of them myself. Love brussels sprouts! 🙂

Patty
    October 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm

This looks so good!!! My husband loves brussels sprouts so I bet he will it.

Jessi Goodman
    November 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Loved this! I live in Montreal and the amount of maple syrup used in cooking here is ridiculous, but somehow I haven’t used it until this recipe! I made one small adjustment by adding cheese tortellini to it to make this more of a meal, so it was a kind of fall-ish rustic Salad!

thanks!

November 8, 2012 at 5:50 pm

There is no such thing as a ridiculous amount of maple syrup–take that back! 😀 I love the idea of adding pasta to it–I’m going to have to try that. So glad you enjoyed it!

jami
    November 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Any comments from those who have made the recipe as to whether it is good at room temp or demands to be served hot? Does it reheat well if I roast it earlier in the day and then just bring it back up to temp before serving? Thanks!

November 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Roasted vegetables can definitely be reheated, but they’re never as good as when they’re fresh out of the oven. I’d recommend serving this warm if possible.

Ashley
    November 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Any advice to someone who has a wonky oven? I’m making this for Thanksgiving (but I’m leaving out the walnuts, simply because I don’t like walnuts) and I have been roasting these for well over an hour and they’re nowhere near done! My aunt suggested putting the heat up 100 degrees. But they’re still cooking! Any suggestions?

November 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I have no idea–it definitely must be your oven because I’ve made this several times and I’ve heard from other people who have made it and it definitely doesn’t take an hour! I agree, it sounds like your oven is running low, so you could try cranking up the heat. You could also take them out of the oven and finish them by sauteing them in a large skillet. I hope they turn out okay!

Tamara @ Oh Lardy
    November 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

These look amazing! I love roasted brussels sprouts but I have never had this concoction before. Thanks for posting!

Jayne
    December 3, 2012 at 2:58 am

mmm… Brussels sprouts. I love them so much it almost hurts.

December 3, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Me too. Who knew, right? When I was a kid, they were my most dreaded food…

Connie Z.
    December 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Do you have suggestions for a non-nut addition to keep the crunch but avoid nuts, since some family members are allergic?

December 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

Someone on my Facebook page asked me the same question and another reader suggested toasted pepitas.

CrystalFawn
    January 3, 2013 at 7:17 pm

This was sooooo DeLiCiOuS! It also makes a beautiful presentation for company. Thank you 🙂

January 4, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it–I think it’s my favorite way to make brussels sprouts!

Katie Rose
    January 23, 2013 at 2:30 am

I’m sorry–did you just say you never tried avocado? This disturbs me deeply.

January 24, 2013 at 10:43 am

HA! I know, does this make me a terrible food blogger? Probably!

1 2 3