Recipes/ Sides/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples
Last week I asked about brussels sprouts on my Facebook page. And you have strong feelings about them! Many of you had a similar experience of hating them when you were kids and loving them as adults. I liked pretty much every vegetable as a child, but brussels sprouts? Those I just would not touch. They were bitter, awful, nasty little vegetables.

I don’t know what persuaded me to try them again as an adult, but I did and I realized that, like so many other foods, when cooked right, brussels sprouts are delicious. I still hate steamed sprouts, but when they’re sauteed, they’re pretty decent. And when they’re roasted, they’re even better. In fact, they’re so good roasted that I rarely make them any other way.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples Ingredients
When you roast brussels sprouts, that objectionable bitter flavor disappears. The outer layers get a little bit browned and crispy. And everyone loves browned and crispy! My favorite thing to do with roasted brussels sprouts is to pair them with sweet flavors (like in my Brussels Sprout & Grape Galette). Usually I just go for one sweet addition, but this time I added three: dried cranberries, apples, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Is it a little much? I don’t think so, although I did worry that it would be. I was going to add two of the above, but my husband insisted that I add all of them. And since he was right about the Roasted Poblano Mac & Cheese, I figured I should trust him on this one too. (Although this is also the guy who puts maple syrup on hash browns…)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples
If you’re still a little bit dicey about giving brussels sprouts another try as an adult, this is a good recipe to start with. Because there’s a lot of sweetness to counteract the brussely-ness. It’s a beautiful fall side dish and it would look pretty fabulous as part of a Thanksgiving spread.

Also, brussels sprouts look like tiny adorable cabbages. How can you say no to wee bitty cabbages? You can’t!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Apples Recipe

An easy fall side dish that combines roasted brussels sprouts and apples with walnuts, cranberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

• Yield: 4

• 1 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
  • 1 apple, cored and sliced (Fuji or Braeburn works well)
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • salt + pepper to taste
  • 1/4 c. dried cranberries
  • 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1 tbsp. maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Toss brussels sprouts and apple slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until brussels sprouts are tender and browned on edges, stirring halfway through cooking time.
  3. Transfer brussels sprouts and apple to large bowl. Stir in cranberries, walnuts, and maple syrup.

Brian @ A Thought For Food
    October 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

Ok, this is magnificent! I’m kind of obsessed with brussels sprouts and I have NEVER thought to do them with apple. I may just be serving this at Thanksgiving this year!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook
    October 11, 2012 at 9:08 am

I put maple syrup on my hash browns. So I think I’d love the Brussels Sprouts with syrup, too! Can’t wait to give this a try!

October 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Do you really?! I thought my husband was the only one! I had never heard of that before.

Christy @ My Invisible Crown
    October 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

Hi there! This looks awesome! When you said apples yesterday I didn’t realize you also meant cranberries, which I love so, AND maple. I think your husband was right on this one. I always use sweet and spicy and I too ALWAYS roast my wee bitty cabbages so I will surely try these next time I walk by them in the store and can’t resist the cuteness factor. Thanks for sharing. Love it!

October 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Yup, roasting is definitely the way to go! I’m totally trying your recipe too! ๐Ÿ˜€

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    October 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

Gah, this is *so* perfect for Thanksgiving! Love, love, love the addition of apples and other sweet stuff. I, too, steered clear of these cute “wee bitty” cabbages (hee) until a few years ago when I started roasting them. Um, yum! They skyrocketed to the top of my favorite veggie list. I’m still trying to convince my guy they’re all that, though. Maybe I just need to give in and just toss in a little bacon for him already. ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Yes! They are one of my favorites now too and I even managed to convince my husband, who was totally skeptical at first.

Russell van Kraayenburg
    October 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

This dish looks very pretty! And now I’m hungry.

Jenn @therebelchick
    October 11, 2012 at 11:24 am

This looks SO GOOD!!! I love roasted brussel sprouts but have never tried them with apples, only bacon. I think the bacon and apples together would be even better!

October 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Yeah, I think you could take out the cranberries (maybe the walnuts too?) and do sprouts, bacon, apples, and maple syrup. Although I haven’t had bacon in almost 20 years (ZOMG I AM OLD!), so maybe my opinion isn’t the most reliable. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rachel @ following in my shoes
    October 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

We adore roasted brussel sprouts — I’ve pinned this and it WILL be on my table soon.

October 11, 2012 at 11:50 am

This would make a perfect Thanksgiving dinner side!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    October 11, 2012 at 11:53 am

Great minds think alike! I made this recipe as well ๐Ÿ™‚

Looks so delish and perfect for the holidays!!

October 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm

It’s a great fall combination, isn’t it? ๐Ÿ™‚

Smedette
    October 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Whoa. That is spectacular.

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    October 11, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Yummy! My taste buds really have changed as an adult. Honestly, the first time I had brussels sprouts as a kid I gagged. Now I could eat them by the bucket full. I’m going to try out your recipe this weekend!

October 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, brussels sprouts were one of those things where I would refuse to eat them and my mom wouldn’t let me leave the table until I finished them, so I’d just hunker down and chill at the kitchen table all night. Because no way was I going to eat them.

I hope you like the recipe!

Kathy - Panini Happy
    October 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Oh my veggies, these are beautiful! Loving brussels sprouts right now – especially with a splash of balsamic at the end. I’ll enjoy trying them with apples next!

nicole @nicky_olea
    October 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I love brussel sprouts. You also seriously take the most stunning photos of your dishes. I mean…STUNNING!

October 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Aw, thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

lynn @ the actor's diet
    October 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm

perfection in a bowl.

Jackie @ The Beeroness
    October 11, 2012 at 6:31 pm

It’s funny, my mom hated Brussels Sprouts and sweet potatoes so I never had them as a kid. SO I have nothing but love for them. Although, had I been forced to ingest that mushy gray over-boiled kind….

October 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm

There are so many veggies I didn’t try until I reached adulthood! And even a few that I still have to try…

Jess
    October 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Wowza, this excites me! I’m a big fan of roasting brussel sprouts in maple syrup and getting those sweet crispy leaves. The idea of adding the apple is superb. Definitely trying this out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I love the crispy outer leaves on roasted brussels sprouts too–so yummy! I hope you like the recipe if you make it!

sarah @ two tarts
    October 11, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Lovely colors – the green and red together are pretty!

Brenda Williams
    October 11, 2012 at 11:26 pm

This dish has ALL of my favorite things! Never thought to put them together. Thank you for such a fantastic idea! Beautiful photo too.

October 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Thank you! I am trying to get comfortable taking darker photos since the days are going to be so darn short soon. ;(

Rachel
    October 12, 2012 at 12:33 am

I love roasted brussel sprouts. I never thought to add in apples. I am so making this!

Rikki
    October 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

Yes ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the dark background!! Would you believe it if I told you that I’ve ever tried brussel sprouts? Terrible, right? But this recipe is so convincing, I love that they’re paired with apples, mmm it looks so good!

Rikki
      October 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

*never tried (forgot that n, he’s important).

October 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Thank you! I’m excited to experiment with it more. And I’ll probably have to as the days get shorter and shorter! This is definitely a good brussels sprout recipe to start with since there’s a lot of sweetness added. Whatever you do, don’t steam them–you will never want to eat them again!

Matt
    October 12, 2012 at 11:54 am

I just returned from “vacation” (it was a lot more work than vacation) with my parents, and I probably ate about 4 vegetables during the entire week. I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight that, and magically I stumble upon this recipe. Heck, yes, brussels sprouts it is!

October 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Ha! I have been on a lot of those vacations myself. I hope you enjoy the recipe!

Diane (createdbydiane)
    October 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

looks great, I even happen to have brussel sprouts in the fridge and will have to give this a try, YUMMY!

Caitlin
    October 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

roasted brussels sprouts are seriously candy to me. i could eat a bizillion of them in one sitting.

Jeanette
    October 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I love roasted brussels sprouts although my kids are not huge fans, but sweetened up a bit they’d probably like them a lot more. Gorgeous!

October 13, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Maybe brussels sprouts are just one of those things that only mature tastebuds can appreciate. ๐Ÿ™‚

October 12, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I don’t remember actually trying brussels sprouts as a kid, I just assumed I wouldn’t like them because that’s what society and the media teach you! Not surprisingly, I love them now, although I’ve only ever made them roasted, sauteed, or raw (not steamed). I think they go perfectly with apples, walnuts, and maple syrup!

October 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I’ve never had them raw! I guess I was afraid that they’d be too bitter? I should try that…

1 2 3