vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Piña Colada Breakfast Shake

Pina Colada Breakfast Shake Recipe

Pina Colada Breakfast Shake
When I was 4 or 5, 7-Eleven had a Piña Colada slurpees for the summer. I remember getting one and thinking to myself, “This is what suntan lotion must taste like!” I always felt compelled to eat suntan lotion, you see, because it smelled like something that should be eaten. So this was very exciting for me. I have loved that combination of pineapple and coconut ever since. It always reminds me of summertime and the beach and happiness. In fact, I think it’s actually impossible to drink a Piña Colada and feel unhappy.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a breakfast shake, so I figured it was time to do another. Everyone loves an easy, healthy breakfast, right? And during the summer, breakfast in cold smoothie form is always a bonus. Well, at least for me, it is. The thing that makes this a breakfast shake instead of a regular smoothie is the oatmeal. (And fine, I could have called these oatmeal smoothies, but smoothies for breakfast are a yawn. Shakes for breakfast, that’s exciting! Rebellious, even!) I like to let the oats sit in liquid for a little bit to soften them up–if you’re making these shakes for breakfast, you can combine the oats and liquid the night before. There’s a little less oatmeal in this Piña Colada Breakfast Shake than there is in my other recipes, but only because I like my breakfasts a little bit lighter in the summer.

Pina Colada Breakfast Shake<
The coconut flavor in this smoothie comes from unsweetened coconut flakes. This is one of my new favorite ingredients to play around with. I love it in smoothies, muffins, overnight oats–whatever! You can even use it to make your own coconut milk. The reason I’ve used coconut flakes instead of canned or refrigerated coconut milk is that the flakes add much more of a coconutty flavor to the smoothie. And you want this to be coconutty!

I also used coconut water in this smoothie, but really, you can use any liquid you like–any kind of milk you have on hand (almond milk would be delicious!), juice, rum, whatever! I just happened to have coconut water on hand from Bestowed Box and since my husband and I don’t like drinking it straight, I usually use it in smoothies. Oh, and because people always ask, YES you can add protein powder to this! Go wild!

Pina Colada Breakfast Shake
Want more breakfast shake recipes? Here are the others I’ve posted:

Mexican Chocolate Breakfast Shake
Banana Chai Breakfast Shake
Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Shake

Piña Colada Breakfast Shake

Pina Colada Breakfast Shake Recipe

A summery breakfast shake made with oats, dried coconut, and pineapple.

• Yield: 1 shake

1. Combine the oats, coconut water, and coconut flakes in a small container with a lid. Stir together, cover, and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours if you’re not having this for breakfast–this step helps soften up the oats).
  2. Add the oat mixture and the frozen pineapple chunks to your blender. (A high speed one like the Vitamix works best! Please do not blame me if your blender does not blend!) Puree until completely smooth and add sweetener to taste if you need it (since the pineapple is so sweet, I skip adding any extra sweetener).

Averie @ Averie Cooks
    July 11, 2013 at 7:51 am

I’ve love one right now! Either this – or the real thing. Kidding! Yours looks so healthy and creamy and wonderful. Pinned!

July 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Thank you for the pin! 🙂

July 11, 2013 at 7:51 am

Mmm, that sounds good! “If you like pina coladas and gettin’ caught in the rain!”…sorry.

Since I’m not a fan of coconut water or the texture of the flakes, do you think I could add light coconut milk in place of the water without messing with the consistency too much? I’ve got a can from TJ’s in there asking to be used and this would be perfect!

July 13, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I think that would work, although I suspect that it wouldn’t be as coconutty. I’m sure it would still be delicious, though!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete}
    July 11, 2013 at 8:34 am

This looks like the perfect summer treat, for breakfast or any other time of day!

Makes me wish I wasn’t allergic to pineapple 🙁

Kathryn
    July 11, 2013 at 8:34 am

When I was about 16, I discovered that coconut rum & lemonade tasted a lot like suntan lotion and I was pretty much obsessed with it. I like this (non-alcoholic) version much more!

July 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Ooh, I might have to try that. 🙂

Joy // For the Love of Leaves
    July 11, 2013 at 9:47 am

Man, it must be a piña colada kinda day. I woke up this morning thinking about making piña colada ice cream for my blog. This shake looks fantastic!

July 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Piña Colada ice cream would be amaaaazing! 😀

Caitlin
    July 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

i had the same compulsion as a child with sun tan lotion. it smelled SO GOOD! this shake looks seriously fabulous. coconut and pineapple are two things i haven’t combined in a while and i totally feel like i’m missing out right now. and i LOVE these photos.

July 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm

It’s definitely one of my favorite smells. And in general, I love fruity smells for lotions, lip balms, soaps, etc. 🙂

Natalie
    July 11, 2013 at 10:17 am

Sounds like a lovely tropical tasting treat!

Ruta
    July 11, 2013 at 10:26 am

Yum yum yum. I love me a nice refreshing shake in the summer! You also had me nearly laughing with your sunscreen smelled like something that should be eaten comment. That’s such a cute thought.

July 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm

It really does smell like that though! 😀 It makes me hungry just thinking about it!

Tieghan
    July 11, 2013 at 10:56 am

I just made a strawberry banana pina colada smoothie. SO good!! I am loving yours. Coconut is my best friend these days!

July 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Ooh, adding strawberries and bananas sounds so good!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
    July 11, 2013 at 11:15 am

I’d love this now …and later too!!! Yum!!!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    July 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

I’ve been so into making smoothies recently, and this one will join the list for sure! I’m giving away a copy of 365 Vegan Smoothies on my blog today! Check it out 🙂

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    July 11, 2013 at 11:41 am

I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow! I love almost anything that has pineapple/coconut or coconut. Except the water for some reason. I’ll have to try it in a smoothie though. I just can’t drink it straight – no matter how cold I let it get.

July 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Yeah, I don’t care for coconut water, but Chris can’t stand it–he REALLY hates it. But when you put it in a smoothie, you can’t even taste it. 🙂

Brea Giffin
    July 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm

MMM this looks delicious. Just slap some Jimmy Buffet on and start your morning the right way! Nothing says summer quite like a pineapple coconut combo!

July 13, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I have had Jimmy Buffet stuck in my head ever since posting this recipe! 🙂

Rachel @ Bakerita
    July 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Oh my goodness, yum. I need to make this!! It looks like the perfect breakfast smoothie 🙂

Jackie {DomesticFits}
    July 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I used to think that I hated coconut, but I couldn’t reconcile that with the fact that I loved pina coladas and wanted to lick sunscreen. This looks exactly like why I now know that I totally love coconut.

July 13, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I used to think I hated coconut too. I think it wasn’t so much the flavor of coconut itself, but the intense sugary-ness that often accompanies it, combined with the texture. I’ve gotten over the texture part, and with unsweetened coconut, I can avoid the sweetness.

Deb
    July 11, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Sounds wonderful! But I’ve been having trouble finding unsweetened coconut flakes. Any suggestions?

dixya| food, pleasure, and health
    July 11, 2013 at 3:36 pm

i really like adding oats to my smoothie esp for the breakfast – its filling. Love your spin on pina colada.

July 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Yeah, just fruit in my smoothies isn’t filling enough for me–well, it fills me up for an hour or so, but then I get hungry again! I really need those oats if I’m having a smoothie for breakfast. 🙂

Laura
    July 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Yum! I didn’t think of replacing breakfast with a shake before – definitely something worth investigating.

July 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm

It’s nice for those days when you’re in a rush! 🙂

Katherine
    July 11, 2013 at 4:10 pm

looks delicious!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    July 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm

OMG. I need this in my life immediately. I just threw some fabulous coconut water down the drain because it was expired…so sad. As soon as I get my hands on more, this is totally on my breakfast list.

July 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Nothing hurts my soul more than having to throw away food!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    July 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm

omg!! Can’t live without coconut and yet another delicious recipe to tempt me!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    July 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm

If this is what breakfast looks like, then I am all over it. Love these flavors!

Jennie @themessybakerblog
    July 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I used to love those slurpees. It feels like forever since I’ve had one. This breakfast shake sounds amazing. I’m addicted to coconut: coconut milk, oil, flakes. I love it all. Yes, sunscreen should be edible. Why make something that smells tropical if you can’t eat it?

July 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I can’t even remember the last time I had a slurpee, but I loved them too. Even though I know they pretty much consist of artificial colors, artificial flavors, and corn syrup. 🙂

Connie
    July 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

So, I call it suntan lotion too and my husband always rolls his eyes, because he insists it should be called sunscreen.

July 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Ha! Well, this was the stuff that was supposed to actually HELP you tan. I remember my mom buying it in the early 80s, back when sunscreen wasn’t really a thing. I’m not even sure if they still make it?

Connie
        July 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Yeah, probably not. Okay, I’m still the weird one calling sunscreen suntan lotion.

Stephanie @ henry happened
    July 11, 2013 at 9:20 pm

This sounds so fantastic! My mom used to always get virgin pina coladas whenever we were on vacation (which was rare) so they have a special place in my heart. And yours sounds a wee bit healthier than the one I made yesterday!

July 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I can’t wait to see your recipe! There can never be enough piña colada smoothies in this world. 🙂