Tiny dogs? Love them. Baby corn? Yes please. Pygmy goats? I’ll take 12. For a while, I even collected those little erasers that are shaped like food for no other reason than the fact that they were small, exact replicas of delicious things. So obviously, when I find a recipe that takes a big dish and makes it bite-sized, I’m all over it.
After seeing Petite Lasagnas that were made in muffin tins on Pinterest, I decided to make a vegetarian version. Simply subbing out the ground turkey for veggies seemed like a pretty lazy adaptation to me, so I also used pesto instead of a tomato-based sauce. (Sidenote: I could put pesto on anything. Seriously. Here’s a bit of advice: grow basil this summer, make pesto with it, and freeze it so you can use it year-round. You’ll thank me later.)
So are Mini Vegetable Lasagnas as good as regular-sized lasagnas? Heck yeah. In fact, I think I may prefer the mini version because the wonton wrappers peek out over the edge of the muffin tins and get nice and crispy. And I love crispy things almost as much as I love small things. The best thing about this recipe is that it is highly adaptable. Use any filling and any sauce you like–as long as you stick to the assembly instructions and bake time, they’ll turn out fine.
Mini Vegetable Lasagnas
Lasagna in a muffin tin? Yes, it’s possible! These Mini Vegetable Lasagnas are made with pesto, cheese, lots of veggies, and wonton wrappers instead of lasagna noodles. Adapted from Can You Stay For Dinner’s Petite Lasagnas.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 mini lasagnas
- cooking spray or oil mister
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 c. chopped artichoke hearts (frozen, marinated, or canned would all work)
- 1/4 c. sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 c. basil pesto
- 1 1/2 c. low-fat ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 small square refrigerated wonton wrappers
- 1 c. shredded Mozzarella or Italian-blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with oil or cooking spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, zucchini, and mushrooms and saute until softened and just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in artichoke hearts; cook 2-3 additional minutes or until liquid evaporates, if needed. Add sun-dried tomatoes and pesto to skillet and stir until well-combined. Remove from heat.
- Combine ricotta, a pinch of salt, and pepper to taste (I added 1/4 teaspoon) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Press 1 wonton wrapper into each cup of the muffin tin. Divide half the ricotta mixture into each cup; top this with half the vegetable mixture. Divide half of the shredded cheese into each cup. Place the remaining wonton wrappers into each cup, making sure the corners are in the opposite direction of the first wrapper; gently press down to smash everything into the cup and then repeat layering process with remaining ingredients (ricotta, veggies, then cheese). If any of this is confusing, refer to the photos above!
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted and edges of wonton wrappers are golden brown.
- Serving Size: 3 mini lasagnas