Vegetarian Irish Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Tempeh
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1-8 oz. package of tempeh, cubed
- 1-14.9 oz can of stout beer (like Guinness)
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil at medium. Add onions, carrots, and garlic and cook 7-10 minutes, or until just beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Add flour and cook for 2 more minutes. Add tempeh and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add beer and raise heat to high. Boil for 3 minutes. Add broth, sweet potato chunks, lentils, and herbs.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 40 minutes, or until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender and sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.