Recipes/ Sides/ Snacks/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Curried Baked Carrot Chips

Curried Baked Carrot Chips

Curried Baked Carrot Chips
Last weekend, I harvested carrots.

Lots of carrots.

Tiny carrots.

I always have problems with vanishing seedlings when I try seeding directly in my raised beds, so last fall I thought I’d be smart and sow a ton of carrot seeds and then pull the extra seedlings out when I was sure they were big enough to survive any attacks from small animals or insects. But then it got cold and I got busy and I never thinned out the seedlings. So when I was preparing my raised beds for spring last weekend, I pulled out about 50 bitty carrots.

Baby Carrots
They might be small and okay, they’re a little bit pale too. But I grew them! And they were perfect small carrots. I was kind of excited about my wee carrots, but Chris made fun of them and thought I should throw them in with the compost, to which I responded:

“I’m going to blog about this!”

(That’s my new response anytime he says or does something I don’t like, by the way.)

Three CarrotsCarrot Peel
My carrots may have been too small to use for much, but after I harvested them, I started coming up with ideas for carrot recipes and I was just itching to try them out. So I bought some normal sized carrots and got to work. Dara from Generation Y Foodie mentioned carrot chips to me a few weeks ago and making a curried version was at the top of my list.

Curried Baked Carrot ChipsCurried Baked Carrot Chips
I’ve never had carrot chips before, curried or otherwise, but I’m completely enamored with these Curried Baked Carrot Chips now. Carrots aren’t exactly my favorite vegetable, so I figured I’d eat a few of these and give the rest to Chris. But no! These are really, really good–so good that I didn’t want to share. (And maybe I shouldn’t have after he so cruelly mocked the wee carrots I grew!) If you’re not a fan of curry, you can make these with salt and pepper or any other seasoning you like. All you need is a large carrot, a vegetable peeler, a little bit of olive oil, and in a few minutes, you have delicate, crispy oven-baked carrot chips.

Curried Baked Carrot Chips

Curried Baked Carrot Chips Recipe

These spicy, crispy carrot chips make a healthy single-serving snack. If you double the recipe, use two baking sheets and alternate them in the oven halfway through baking time. Adapted from Chow’s Carrot Chips.

• Yield: 1 serving

• 1 large carrot, peeled
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. sweet curry powder (stick with 1/2 teaspoon for milder chips)
  • salt + pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil mister or cooking spray.
  2. Holding onto the small end of the carrot, use a Y-shaped peeler to peel paper thin carrot strips. Try your best to make them uniform in thickness. You’ll have some carrot leftover when it gets too thin to peel. Either eat it or throw it in your vegetable scrap bag to make broth with later.
  3. Place carrot strips in large bowl. Toss with olive oil, curry powder, salt and pepper. Transfer strips to baking sheet in a single layer; the edges can be touching, as they’ll shrink when they bake, but don’t overlap them.
  4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until chips are just starting to brown. Place baking sheet on a wire rack and cool until chips are crisp, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove chips from baking sheet (they are thin and will break easily!); eat right away or store in airtight container for up to 5 days.

Natalie
    March 21, 2013 at 10:19 pm

These look super addictive! What a cool idea and the curry spice is perfect.

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    March 21, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Holy yum. I just ate curry popcorn with coconut oil last night and had curry lentil soup for lunch so I might as well bake up a batch of these curry carrot chips! They look so perfectly thin and crispy!

March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Curry popcorn?! That sounds so good. I need to try that. ๐Ÿ™‚

mjskit
    March 21, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I could eat a huge platter of these! What a fabulous little snack!

Virginia @thatbaldchick
    March 22, 2013 at 12:09 am

Oh my yum, those look delish!

Emily
    March 22, 2013 at 7:50 am

Your carrots are so cute! I think I’ll try these, carrots are one of my favorite veggies – I’ve never thought to make them into a chip!

heather
    March 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

yes! i love a root veggie chip. making these ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for the recipe, looks delish per usual.

Alissa N
    March 22, 2013 at 11:37 am

I would be incredibly proud if I had succeeded in growing those adorable carrots. I would feel bad eating them, but I bet they taste amazing, as anything home grown does.
    I want to make every recipe you post. I have been craving something crunchy and crispy lately, I can’t believe how easy this recipe is!! Totally making these!! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Yay! I hope you like them if you make them. ๐Ÿ˜€ They are the perfect way to satisfy a craving for crispy snacks!

Jackie @ The Beeroness
    March 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I LOVE this idea. I’ve shaved other vegetables, but I’ve never though to do it with carrots, this looks amazing.

March 22, 2013 at 1:12 pm

This is such a good idea! I’m learning there are so many fun ways to eat carrots, especially after making my carrot fries recently. The curry powder sounds like the perfect touch to make these a savoury snack food!

March 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Now that I’ve tackled carrot chips, I need to give carrot fries a try!

Stephanie @ henry happened
    March 22, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I never think to put curry on stuff like this – I always go for the sweet with cinnamon – but I bet it’s amazing . Plus they are so dang cute. And I love your tiny carrots ๐Ÿ™‚

March 24, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I was thinking about doing cinnamon too, but I have a big jar of curry powder in the pantry, so I went with that instead. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bernadette @ Now Stir It Up
    March 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I love curry! These look great and what a healthy snack!! Next time I have some carrots lying around I think I will try this.

Ronnie Fein
    March 23, 2013 at 8:47 am

I make carrot chips all the time but never thought to do them with curry. This is next.

Jennifer
    March 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I never knew you could do this. I would probably put different seasoning on it because I’m not a curry fan but sounds yum none-the-less

Miriam
    March 23, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I am 8 days into an elimination diet to find the source of some food sensitivities, and am at the stage where I can eat only rice, chicken and a few vegetables. One of them is carrots! So I made these today with just a bit of salt, since curry isn’t on my allowed foods list, and they were great! So nice to have a different texture in my mouth. You have made it easier to keep going for another day!

March 24, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I’m so glad I could help! ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with the diet–I’ve done that for my migraines and those first few days are rough!

ashley - baker by nature
    March 24, 2013 at 12:55 am

This is brilliant! I am always making sweet potato fries (which are totes amazing), but have been thinking I need a back up go-to snack… carrot chips! Duh. So trying this!

Elizabeth A.
    March 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm

What a great idea! Way to go with your carrots by the way. I have a bit of a black thumb, so anything that grows for me is exciting!

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    March 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Oh, yum! I love carrots and I love curry so this is right up my alley ๐Ÿ™‚

whitney
    March 24, 2013 at 7:03 pm

These are SO amazing!!!

March 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Yay, I’m glad you liked them! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anne
    March 24, 2013 at 10:07 pm

These look good! I’m jealous you are getting anything from your garden, we got another 12 inches of snow last week!

March 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm

It’s so depressing when it snows during spring! When I lived in Wisconsin, I remember it snowing well into April sometimes…

debra pearlstein
    March 24, 2013 at 11:18 pm

The curry with the carrot sounds totally delicious. This looks like a yummy healthy snack.

March 25, 2013 at 12:09 am

Yum! I would totally hoard those chips all for myself. This probably makes no sense, but I love curry but not curried things, like chicken salad or butternut squash soup. I’d go with your salt/pepper/olive oil option, since I love roasted carrots that way. And I think the tiny carrots are adorable!

March 26, 2013 at 2:24 pm

That makes sense–curried things are made with curry powder and curries aren’t always made with curry powder and the ones that are have a lot of other flavors going on!

March 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I think that’s it!! Maybe like the difference between garlic and garlic powder. Not very alike.

Val
    March 27, 2013 at 9:59 am

These look super delicious! I miss reading your posts- I’m so behind on blogs and blogging because of school!

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    March 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I’m usually not a fan of carrots but put it in carrot form and I’m so there!

Crista
    March 27, 2013 at 10:53 pm

awww the baby carrots are so cute. i love how you peeled the carrot length-wise to make these strips. nice job!

Grace @ Eats Amazing
    March 28, 2013 at 3:07 am

These look amazing, I think the whole family would nosh these down in minutes, definitely going to give them a try!

PS We didn’t have much success with carrots either, but our teeny tiny carrots were delicious washed & chopped up in a salad ๐Ÿ™‚

March 28, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Thank you! And I guess tiny carrots are better than no carrots at all, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

1 2 3