vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Recipe | Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena Vinaigrette

Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena Vinaigrette

Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena Vinaigrette
We got back from Georgia on Monday night and I’m now ready for my next vacation. I think after you travel, you’re supposed to feel well-rested and satisfied, but traveling only makes me want to travel more. I spent most of the car ride home Googling hotels in Hawaii and the cost of airfare to the Florida Keys.

So I guess I haven’t had my fill of travel this summer. But I did leave Georgia with my fill of fabulous desserts, courtesy of my Aunt Darlene. (You’re watching her on The American Baking Competition, right?!) She made mini-cheesecakes and gorgeous stenciled cookies and brownies topped with gold leaf for my cousin’s wedding. Oh, and there was cake too, of course. And then the next day, we got to eat the rejects–more cookies, more brownies, and orange blossom macarons. So! Much! Food! Bingeing on sweets is always the best motivation for getting back on track with my diet. When we were leaving Savannah, I told Chris that all I wanted was salad.

“For lunch?”

“No, for the next month.”

Spring Berry Salad
I know I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again: I’m really picky when it comes to salads. I don’t like dressings made with dairy, iceberg lettuce makes me cringe, and raw tomatoes are gross. But I always enjoy salads made with fresh berries. It’s like a fruit salad, guest starring greens. I used red and yellow strawberries from my garden in this salad and supplemented them with fat, juicy blackberries and sweet little blueberries.

Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena Vinaigrette
After buying lemon verbena at Herbfest this year, I found myself unsure of how I could use it, aside from making soap. (And then I started singing “How do you solve a problem like verbena?” whenever I went outside to water the plants. I have issues.) I thought I’d try making it into a lemon verbena vinaigrette; the first time, I chopped the verbena, but since the leaves are a little bit poke-y, that wasn’t the best idea. So I ended up pureeing the dressing in my Vitamix until the leaves were completely pulverized. The vinaigrette has a lemony, slightly herbal taste, with a tart kick from the champagne vinegar–it’s not a sweet dressing, but that’s okay because you’ve already got the sweetness from the berries in this salad.

Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena Vinaigrette

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena Vinaigrette

A light salad made with a mix of fresh spring berries and a lemon verbena vinaigrette.

• 1/3 c. champagne vinegar
  • 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 c. lemon verbena leaves, loosely packed
  • 1 (5-ounce) package spring mix salad greens
  • 2 c. fresh berries (I used red and yellow strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
  • 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds

1. Combine vinegar, olive oil, and lemon verbena leaves in a blender. Blend on high until leaves are pureed into the vinaigrette. (If you don't have a high-powered blender like the Vitamix, you may want to strain the dressing through a fine mesh sieve of cheesecloth.)
  2. Divide greens onto 4 plates. Top each with 1/2 cup of berries and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad (there might be extra--don't feel like you need to use it all!).

My strawberries were from the garden, so they were on the small side. If you're using larger ones, you'll need to quarter or halve them.

June 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

*Love that Pop Shop bottle!
    *Lemon verbena leaves! Fresh berries! Oh my goodness what an appetizing salad ๐Ÿ™‚

June 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I bought the bottle at a resale shop and I’ve been itching to use it ever since. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kathryn
    June 6, 2013 at 9:08 am

I totally agree with your policy on salads and I love the bright and fresh flavours of this one!

June 6, 2013 at 9:25 am

Thank you for giving me a recipe to use for my lemon verbena! Do you have a suggestion for a vinegar replacement? I can’t tolerate it very well and am never sure what to use.

I just watched your aunt last night! She and Francine are my 2 faves! That’s awesome!

June 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm

For this recipe, you can basically do the same thing, but with olive oil only instead of half oil/half vinegar. It would be great tossed with veggies or roasted potatoes, drizzled on grilled fruit, etc. And in general, I like to replace white wine or plain old vinegar with lemon juice.

I’m glad you’re watching the show! ๐Ÿ˜€

Martina
    June 6, 2013 at 9:45 am

I’m on a salad kick too after consuming copious amounts of Irish chocolate brought over by a visitor from home! Seriously good but not so good for the waist-line unfortunately

I love the photos you take of your food – they look great!

Martina

June 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had Irish chocolate before! I will have to investigate. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hazel @ fresherfood
    June 6, 2013 at 9:45 am

That salad looks beautiful. Love the inclusion of berries to sweeten it up a bit too. Thanks for sharing!

Caitlin
    June 6, 2013 at 9:53 am

i love this fruit salad guest starring spring greens ๐Ÿ˜‰ looks so light and healthy, and the lemon verbena dressing sounds so refreshing.

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ
    June 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

Can I confess something? I’ve never heard of champagne vinegar… shame on me! Sounds like something chic and classy ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyway, I love this salad, its colors and its freshness. It also makes me think that I should experiment more with salads!

June 6, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I really like it! It has a tart, bright flavor, although unfortunately it’s not bubbly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alissa N
    June 6, 2013 at 11:01 am

I am so the same way about travel!! In fact we literally went through the whole look up how much it costs to go to xyz yesterday to see if we could afford to take a trip this summer. A trip to Hawaii is a dream of mine, and we are trying to be a little frugal so we can save up to go. This salad looks awesome, I want to eat salads for a month too.. I had like 3 lbs of ravioli this weekend and have been feeling like I need to eat like only vegetables for a while to feel normal again.

June 6, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Chris has had no desire to go to Hawaii and I think I’ve finally worn him down. We’re saving to go after I finish my manuscript. We always go on vacations where we’re on the run the whole time and I just want to go somewhere where I can spend at least a day or two relaxing before doing the whole sightseeing thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    June 6, 2013 at 11:29 am

I’ve never seen yellow strawberries! How adorable! I’ve been on the lookout for champagne vinegar…as soon as I get some I’m gonna be all over this gorgeous salad!

June 6, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I went to a vinegar store for it and they didn’t even have it there! But our regular grocery store did. ๐Ÿ™‚

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    June 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Gorgeous salad, I love the berries and vinaigrette!

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today
    June 6, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I always feel like it, like going somewhere again. Traveling is difficult ๐Ÿ˜‰ This salad is perfect, can’t wait for berries season.

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
    June 6, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Gorgeous salad! Love all the colors! Pinned! I want these yellow strawberries – can I come over to your garden and pick some? ๐Ÿ™‚

June 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm

YES! I have so many, I’ve been letting the birds eat some of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

June 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

This couldn’t be more perfect for summer! Yum!

dixya| food, pleasure, and health
    June 6, 2013 at 5:35 pm

im not too big into dressings with dairy either but a light salad with berries are always delicious ๐Ÿ™‚ glad you had a great time at the wedding.

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board
    June 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I am loving the American Baking Competition so far and I had no idea Darlene is your aunt – so exciting! The desserts you got to try from her must have been amazing; I will be rooting her for!

June 6, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Yay, I’m glad you’re watching! ๐Ÿ˜€ It is so surreal seeing my aunt on TV.

ea-the spicy rd
    June 6, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Seriously pretty salad! Although I think I will add a little goat cheese to mine ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m with you on the travel thing~One trip just leads me to wanting more!

June 6, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Oh man, I can’t even THINK about cheese right now after all I ate over the weekend. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    June 6, 2013 at 10:55 pm

You weren’t kidding that you are picky about your salads, I love all of those things you listed that you don’t like! That’s okay though because this salad looks so creative and tasty. I don’t think I’ve ever seen yellow strawberries before and I’ve never used lemon verbena either. I’m intrigued! ๐Ÿ™‚

June 11, 2013 at 8:13 am

I know, people are always shocked that I’m a vegetarian and I don’t eat most salads. ๐Ÿ™‚

Louise
    June 7, 2013 at 3:46 am

I’m into 80/10/10 diet for more than a week now and I find this salad so yummy that I would make this one the raw vegan way. Thanks!

BusyWorkingMama
    June 7, 2013 at 8:55 am

Looks and sounds beautiful! I have some fresh baby lettuce ready for plucking out of my garden and will have to make some salad. Love the dressing! And the sunflower seeds!

June 11, 2013 at 8:11 am

I could not get my lettuce seeds to sprout this year. I’ve been having that problem with a lot of my seeds, though–I think it may be time to buy some new ones!

Natalie
    June 7, 2013 at 9:27 am

Pretty and totally refreshing, what a perfect salad!

Ronnie Fein
    June 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm

So difficult to find verbena leaves! This sounds so refreshing.

June 11, 2013 at 8:09 am

Yeah, it’s a bit obscure–if you don’t grow it yourself, you probably won’t be able to find it at the store!

Courtney @ The Fig Tree
    June 7, 2013 at 11:36 pm

What a pretty salad!!! Yum! Berries in salad are the best. Lemon verbena vinaigrette sounds wonderful.

Rachel @ Rachel's Giveaways
    June 8, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I don’t normally use the word gorgeous for salads, but in this case I think it’s appropriate ๐Ÿ™‚

June 11, 2013 at 7:59 am

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish everything looked as pretty on a plate as salad does.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    June 9, 2013 at 4:50 am

Wow! What a delicious and pretty recipe to eat spring on a plate ๐Ÿ™‚

Maria Tadic
    June 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm

My fav thing to do with lemon verbana is making tea with it – you steep it in hot water (with whatever other flavors you like) and it makes a great tea!

June 11, 2013 at 7:56 am