These lavender shortbread cookies take four ingredients. A simple and delicious lavender cookie that is vegan friendly. The ultimate cookie to whip up for when you get a sweet craving. Light, refreshing, and a crisp texture when you bite into them.
If you love lavender you have to try this lavender shortbread recipe. These lavender cupcakes with frosting are another popular dessert. Or if you love shortbread cookies try my chai shortbread cookie recipe as well.
These Lavender Shortbread Cookies Are...
- Made with 4 Ingredients
- Dairy Free
- Freezer Friendly
How to Make Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Full steps on how to make this shortbread cookie recipe are in the printable recipe card. This is a quick walk through.
- In a food processor you will add in the lavender and sugar. Pulse until it smells fragrant.
- Next mix in the vegan butter until light and fluffy.
- Slowly work in the flour. The dough will be a bit dry. If too dry add a sprinkle of water.
- Roll dough into a long tube, and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Once chilled preheat oven and slice the dough and bake as directed.
Tips For Lavender Shortbread Cookies
You will find that a food processor is key for making the cookie dough. It is going to help give you the proper texture. You could use a blender and use the pulse feature. Just don't overmix or it would ruin the dough.
Slicing Cookie Dough
You will want to slice the dough ¼ inch thick when you go to bake. Make sure to slice evenly so the cookies bake evenly.
Chill The Dough
It is important to chill the dough so it does not spread too much as it bakes. You can chill for two hours up to overnight.
Variations to Lavender Cookies
You can leave out the lavender if you want more of a plain shortbread cookie. Just add in ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract or almond extract.
You can make a sweet powdered sugar glaze that you drizzle over the top of the cookies. This will add some sweetness to the cookies.
Add in some lemon juice or lemon zest to offer a citrus twist to the lavender. Feel free to try out if you enjoy lemon.
Lavender Shortbread Cookie FAQs
Can you eat lavender?
You need to buy food grade lavender for these cookies. So make sure to buy the proper lavender.
Can I use a cookie cutter for this cookie recipe?
Yes, just roll out the cookies and then use whatever shape of cookies you would like. Make sure to keep a portion of the cookie dough chilled. So work in small batches.
How to store cookies?
You will need to store these lavender cookies at room temperature. Place in an airtight container and then eat within 4-5 days. Or you can freeze the cookies by placing in a freezer bag and freeze for 2-3 months. Then thaw on the counter when you are ready to eat.
- In a food processor, add the sugar and lavender and pulse until lavender is in smaller pieces and sugar smells fragrant
- Beat the vegan butter on high with the lavender sugar until light and fluffy
- Stir in the flour a little at time until completely incorporated, if the dough seems too dry you can add a sprinkle of water to get it to hold together
- Roll the dough into a tube and cover with saran wrap
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Slice the dough into round cookies about ¼” thick and place on prepared baking sheet
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden
- Allow to cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack
- Serve and enjoy!