Korean BBQ Tofu Bowls with Stir-Fried Veggies and Quinoa
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons yellow miso
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
For the bowls:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or any neutral flavored, high-heat cooking oil), divided
- 1 crown broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 red pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, pressed for 30 minutes and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Cooked quinoa, shredded red cabbage, sliced green onions and sesame seeds for serving
To make the sauce:
- Whisk together all of the ingredients except the sesame oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture comes to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened—it should be thinner than regular barbecue sauce, but thicker than teriyaki sauce. Stir in the oil and set aside.
To make the bowls:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and stir fry for 1 minute. Carefully add the water to the skillet and cover; let the broccoli steam for about 2 minutes, until bright green and tender.
- Add the zucchini, pineapple, red pepper and soy sauce to the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes more, or until all the vegetables are tender-crisp. Divide the vegetables into 4 bowls and wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add the remaining sesame oil and swirl to coat, then add the tofu. Cook the tofu until lightly browned and crisp on all sides, turning occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the Korean BBQ sauce over the tofu and toss to coat; cook 2 minutes more, until sauce has thickened and the tofu is coated. Divide the tofu into the bowls, then add the quinoa and red cabbage. Drizzle with the remaining sauce and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.