Yesterday I spent more time than I’d like to admit working on redesigning my blog. I took a basic template that I found elsewhere and started playing with the HTML in order to personalize it. Of course, thinking I’d be able to finish it this weekend was a wee bit ambitious–I’m going to put it aside and plan on going live with it next week. Which probably means that it will go live two months from now.
I did manage to squeeze in some time for baking yesterday. In my ongoing quest to use up pantry items before we move in June, I found a recipe for Chocolate Gingerbread Bars in Everyday Food that used several ingredients we had on hand–we only needed to buy sour cream and eggs. This alone is enough to make any recipe a winner in my book. Then I added a cheesecake layer on top of the chocolate gingerbread to make these Chocolate Gingerbread Cheesecake bars. In my head, I had a vision of perfectly marbled bars, but apparently I have no marbling skills because they turned out more muddled than marbled. But they were tasty! And that’s what matters, right?Print
Chocolate Gingerbread Cheesecake Bars
Chocolatey gingerbread on the bottom and chocolate chip-studded cheesecake on top. Adapted from Everyday Food’s Chocolate Gingerbread Bars
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 squares 1x
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan with extra butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda.
- Using a hand mixer on low speed, beat together butter, brown sugar, molasses, 1 egg, and sour cream in a large bowl. Gradually add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, remaining egg, sugar and vanilla. Beat with hand mixer on low speed until mixture is smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour gingerbread batter into baking pan. Pour cheesecake mixture on top of gingerbread; marble with a butter knife.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center of bars comes clean, about 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serving Size: 1 square