What I Ate This Week | The week I finally steamed whole artichokes.

I love artichoke hearts–canned, marinated, whatever, they’re delicious. But prior to this week, I’ve never attempted to make whole artichokes myself. Since I’m working on a blog redesign (yes, again–hush!) that centers around the humble artichoke, I figured it was a good time to buy some. So how did they turn out?

Steamed Whole Artichokes Steamed Whole Artichokes // Okay, I officially don’t understand why people like whole artichokes, other than for the fact that they’re super cool looking. They seem like a whole lotta work for a whole lotta nothing. What am I missing?!

Pineapple Jerk Tofu Pineapple Jerk Tofu // This was originally a recipe for pork chops and I subbed in tofu instead. I was planning on making Jamaican rice and beans to serve with this, but I was lazy and made brown rice with cilantro in it instead.

Rosemary Baked Onion Rings Baked Rosemary Onion Rings & Veggie Burgers // Sorry about the awful photo–I wasn’t feeling well so I took two photos and hoped that they would turn out okay. But trust me, these onion rings are delicious and crunchy and you’ll never want to eat fried ones again. Make these now!

French Onion Soup Sandwiches Recipe French Onion Soup Sandwiches // We never get tired of making these sandwiches!

Kiersten Frase

About Kiersten

Kiersten is the founder and head writer of Oh My Veggies. She lives just outside of Raleigh with her husband and their 4 wonky-eyed rescue cats.   Read more from Kiersten →

Oh My Veggiemail!

Sign up to get the latest updates from Oh My Veggies delivered to your inbox!

Comments

1. says

Yes, such an AWFUL photo! Haha… it’s totally fine!

Steamed artichokes are sooo good! Did you use any dip for the leaves? I like lemon butter with mine. They do take awhile to make, but take up little of your attention so they’re not all that bad!

• Kiersten Frase says

I guess I just don’t get it. There’s so little to eat on the leaves and I don’t really want a mouthful of sauce or dip and a teeny tiny piece of artichoke. I think I’m going to stick to the marinated artichoke hearts from now on…

2. says

Steamed artichokes are a lot of bother, but some of us love eating them if we get to dip the leaves in aioli. Probably defeats the purpose of eating such a large, healthy vegetable, but it’s sooo yummy! Hope you’re feeling better by now!

3. says

I love artichokes but my husband would completely agree with you, he thinks they are an awful lot of work for not much payoff. Maybe because I grew up eating them and they were always such a big deal, I still love them. We also would dip them in cream sauce!! What a beautiful site you have! So great to find you on twitter, I’m now very happily following you and looking forward to finding some more great recipes. Thanks!

• Kiersten Frase says

Aw, thank you! :) The overall layout will stay the same, but I have a new logo & a new background. And I’m thinking about adding some stuff to the sidebar if it doesn’t slow things down too much…

4. says

Those onion rings look so tempting! I went to a steakhouse with some friends the other day and was “forced” to eat onion rings as part of my meal since veg options were out of the question. I felt like crap afterwards, so I’m determined to make some healthy ones myself!

• Kiersten Frase says

Steakhouses are the worst for vegetarians & vegans! They usually have no veggie options at all other than the sides. We actually didn’t have enough egg to make this recipe so I used soymilk on some of the onion rings and they seemed to turn out just fine. And I say “seemed” because once I put them on the baking sheets, I have no idea which ones were the soymilk ones and which ones were the egg ones, but I guess that’s a good sign. :)

• Kiersten Frase says

Well, it seems like I’m in the minority on the whole “artichokes are not worth the hard work” front, so maybe you shouldn’t cross it off your list. :)

As soon as I get a new blog design, I’m already thinking about the next one. It’s a sickness!

5. says

I’ve always been too afraid to try peeling an artichoke. Those barbed-looking layers! Mine comes out of a freezer bag. lol Baked rosemary onion rings sound heavenly.

6. says

I’ve never really known what to do with a whole artichoke – to me it’s so much easier to buy it already prepared/canned/in dip

7. says

Oh man – steamed/boiled artichokes are one of my favorite things, and lucky for me, I grew up a hop, skip, and jump from artichoke country. I love them so much I named my cat after them:)

Sometimes when I don’t cook them long enough, the outer layers of leaves don’t produce much meat so it seems like too much work for very little pay off. If I cook it until a fork can stick into the bottom really easily (about 45+ minutes), there’s always a ton of meat. Your artichoke was mighty – I wonder if you cooked it longer you’d have been happier with the amount of meat? How long did you steam them? I think they’re so delicious you don’t need all the extra dips!

• Kiersten Frase says

Okay, I think you’re onto something. The instructions for this recipe were to steam them for 30 minutes. I was able to get a knife in the base, but a knife is sharper than a fork. Hmm. And you’re right, there was no meat to speak of on the leaves…

If this is your first time commenting on Oh My Veggies, please take a minute to read our comment policy.