All laundry detergents have three basic components: builders, bleach, and enzymes. Builders are used to soften water. The bleach, well, that’s obvious–bleach whitens and brightens your laundry. And the enzymes work to break down stains. Other ingredients may be added too, depending on the brand and variety of detergent you’re using. Each of these components can be made with different ingredients, which is why we’re faced with such a wide-range of choices when shopping for detergents.
Tropical Traditions Powdered Laundry Detergent, like all detergents, contains a builder, bleach, and enzymes. The difference is that Tropical Traditions is made with non-toxic, eco-friendly ingredients. Most conventional detergents contain sodium triphosphate, which causes algae blooms when it reaches lakes and rivers–Tropical Traditions does not. Tropical Traditions laundry detergent is also free of dyes, perfumes, and fillers. This is fantastic news for anyone with sensitive skin. And if you’re concerned about cost? Well, you’ll be happy to know that Tropical Traditions laundry detergent costs less than your average liquid detergent.
Using Tropical Traditions detergent is no different than how you’d use any other powdered laundry detergents–as the washer is filling with water, add your powder. For our relatively small washer, 1/4 cup was enough–larger washers and dirtier laundry requires more powder. Usually I buy whatever eco-friendly detergent option is on sale and Tropical Traditions compares favorably to all of the ones I’ve tried in the past. I also liked the fact that Tropical Traditions detergent contains oxygen bleach for removing stains and deodorizing. Detergent with added bleach means you get more bang for your buck–always a good thing, right?
You can buy Tropical Traditions products on tropicaltraditions.com.
Tropical Traditions has generously offered to give one Type A Housewife reader a 5 pound jug of Tropical Traditions Powdered Laundry Detergent! Awesome, right? Follow the instructions below for your chance to win.
Enter a separate comment for each method of entry. Do the mandatory entry first–if your email address isn’t in your Blogger profile, include it in this comment. Please know that I will delete comments that don’t answer the mandatory entry question. Comments like “this is great,” “enter me,” etc. will be deleted, as will daily and hourly tweets.
Mandatory Entry: Go to the Tropical Traditions website and tell me another product you’d like to try.
- “Like” Tropical Traditions on Facebook. +1
- Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter. +1
- Follow me on Google Friend Connect (see sidebar). +1
- Follow me on Twitter (@ohkeeka). +1
- “Like” The Type A Housewife on Facebook. +1
- Subscribe to my blog via reader or email (see sidebar). You can do both of these, but you only get one entry. +1
- Tweet about this giveaway ONCE (not daily, not hourly) +1: RT @ohkeeka #Win Tropical Traditions eco-friendly laundry detergent on The Type A Housewife http://bit.ly/iiiYIN #giveaway
Things You Should Know:
- One winner will receive Tropical Traditions Powdered Laundry Detergent.
- Entry open to anyone 18 years of age and over.
- Open to those in the US only.
- Giveaway ends on Saturday, May 21 at 9pm CST.
- Winner will be chosen via random.org
- Because I know emails can get lost in the ether, I will email the winner twice. If I don’t hear from you within 24 hours of the first email, I’ll try again. If, after 48 hours, I still haven’t heard from you, another winner will be chosen.
- Winner will be announced in a separate post on my blog.
- I will check to make sure the winner did not cheat by entering under multiple accounts/email addresses. So really, don’t even try it. Cheating is not a good look.
- Disclosure: I received a sample from Tropical Traditions to facilitate this review, but all opinions are my own–I only review products on my blog that I truly love and recommend to my readers. No monetary compensation has been received.
Thank you to Tropical Traditions for sponsoring this giveaway!