photo © 2010 Maureen Didde | more info (via: Wylio)
We have a saying in The Type A Housewife household: Everything tastes better with truffle oil. And it’s true! If I had to choose one condiment to take with me to a desert island, it would surely be truffle oil. And if I had to choose one person to hang with on that desert island (besides my husband! of course!), it would be John Stamos. He’s hilarious and he has fantastic hair. Just fantastic! America loves John Stamos, amirite?
So anyway! Back to truffle oil. Truffles themselves are crazy expensive, so the beauty of truffle oil is that it gives your dishes that amazing, heady aroma of truffles without having to spend a small fortune on the elusive fungi itself. It’s made with olive oil and the essence of white or brown truffles, either real or synthetic. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, beware: truffle oil is not for you. Imagine the flavor of your typical garden variety button mushroom, but ten times as intense.
I suppose I should qualify the first sentence of this post by saying that, fine, not everything tastes better with truffle oil. I certainly wouldn’t add the stuff to my next batch of cupcakes. So what can you do with truffle oil? Oh, I’m so glad you asked! Here are 8 ways to use truffle oil…
- Use it instead of olive oil for dipping crusty French bread (but remember, a little goes a long way!).
- Roast some baby potatoes and toss them with sea salt and truffle oil.
- While we’re on the subject of potatoes, ever had french fries drizzled with truffle oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese? Amazing!
- …and for even more potato related ideas, how about mashing some red potatoes (skin on, of course) and adding a wee bit of truffle oil when serving, instead of gravy?
- Tired of boring frozen haricots vert from Trader Joe’s? Top them with sea salt and truffle oil!
- Truffle oil + polenta + sauteed mushrooms = comfort food bliss
- Truffle oil is sublime on roasted or grilled asparagus!
- Make a pizza with liberal amounts of mushrooms and fontina cheese and drizzle with truffle oil, as seen here.
See why I love truffle oil? If my pantry is an arsenal, truffle oil is most definitely my secret weapon. So tell me, have you ever tried truffle oil? And what condiment would you take with you to a desert island?