For better or worse (okay, mostly worse), I have a weak stomach. To quote one Lady Gaga, I was born this way and after three decades of dealing with it, I doubt I’ll magically wake up one morning and not be prone to nausea. Not only do I get motion sickness from car rides, I even get it while shopping if there’s a lot going on around me. But the worst nausea I get comes with my migraines. Migraines are bad enough, but migraines with nausea? Just miserable. When I’m sick to my stomach, it’s hard for me to keep medication down, so there are times when it seems just about impossible to kick my headaches.
My doctor said that people who are prone to migraines are often prone to motion sickness as well. While he offered me a prescription to take care of the frequent nausea I experience, I turned him down because I’m just not a fan of being on prescription drugs on a long-term basis unless absolutely necessary. When I saw that Sea-Band was looking for migraine sufferers to review their nausea relief bands and ginger gum, I offered my services–they’re drug-free, so there was no risk involved, which sounded good to me.
How do Sea-Bands work, you ask? They’re based on the Chinese art of acupressure. In the center of each elastic band is a plastic disk that presses against a point on the inner wrist that stimulates the nervous system to release healing chemicals. This may sound like new age hogwash, but there are scientific studies backing this up–Sea-Bands are even used in many hospitals for post-surgical and chemotherapy-induced nausea. They’re also recommended for women suffering from morning sickness. A clinic in Germany, which specializes in treating migraine sufferers, found that 83% of patients given Sea-Bands experienced a perceptible reduction in nausea. As for the Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum, well, I’m sure you’ve all heard of ginger being used as a folk remedy for upset stomachs. I’ve been using it for years and not only does it seem to calm my stomach, but I love the spicy taste too.
My Sea-Band Nausea Relief Bands and Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum arrived at the perfect time–between the stress of moving and the 16 hour car ride from Wisconsin to North Carolina, nausea was pretty much a guaranteed occurrence. (I mean, really, I get car sick on 5 minute rides to Target or the grocery store–I’m that pathetic.) I have tiny wrists and I still found the Sea-Bands to be uncomfortably snug, but they really did take the edge off of my nausea and at times made it go away completely. I now carry both the bands and the gum with me everywhere. When I start feeling sick, I pop a piece of gum in my mouth and slip on the bands until I start to feel better. I’m much happier to use drug-free nausea remedies than to take prescription drugs on a daily basis–no side effects! And at $10.99 for a pair of Sea-Bands and $6.99 for the Ginger Gum, natural nausea relief is so much cheaper too!
You can find Sea-Band products at most supermarkets, drug stores, and mass retailers nationwide. You can also buy online from the Sea-Band webstore.
Sea-Band has generously offered to give one Type A Housewife reader a set of Sea-Bands and a package of Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum! Awesome, right? Follow the instructions below for your chance to win.
Enter a separate comment for each method of entry. Do the mandatory entry first–if your email address isn’t in your Blogger profile, include it in this comment. Please know that I will delete comments that don’t answer the mandatory entry question. Comments like “this is great,” “enter me,” etc. will be deleted, as will daily and hourly tweets.
Mandatory Entry: Go to the Sea-Band website and tell me something you learned.
- “Like” Sea-Band on Facebook (and be sure to check out their giveaways!). +1
- Follow me on Google Friend Connect (see sidebar). +1
- Follow me on Twitter (@ohkeeka). +1
- “Like” The Type A Housewife on Facebook. +1
- Subscribe to my blog via reader or email (see sidebar). You can do both of these, but you only get one entry. +1
- Tweet about this giveaway ONCE (not daily, not hourly) +1: RT @ohkeeka #Win a pair of Sea-Bands and Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum on The Type A Housewife http://bit.ly/m3srzi #giveaway
Things You Should Know:
- One winner will receive a pair of Sea-Band Nausea Relief Bands and a package of Sea-Band Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum.
- Entry open to anyone 18 years of age and over.
- Open to those in the US only.
- Giveaway ends on Saturday, June 18 at 9pm EST.
- Winner will be chosen via random.org
- Because I know emails can get lost in the ether, I will email the winner twice. If I don’t hear from you within 24 hours of the first email, I’ll try again. If, after 48 hours, I still haven’t heard from you, another winner will be chosen.
- Winner will be announced in a separate post on my blog.
- I will check to make sure the winner did not cheat by entering under multiple accounts/email addresses. So really, don’t even try it. Cheating is not a good look.
- Disclosure: I received sample products from Sea-Band to facilitate this review, but all opinions are my own–I only review products on my blog that I truly love and recommend to my readers. No monetary compensation has been received.
Thank you to Sea-Band for sponsoring this giveaway!