Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal

Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal
Having never lived in the tropics, I can’t really tell you when mango season is. But I do know that a few times a year, there’s suddenly an abundance of champagne mangoes at the grocery store. They’ll be strategically positioned at the front of the produce section, boxes stacked precariously on top of each other. And they’re always 5 for $5. While I like regular mangoes just fine, I like the champagne ones even more. They’re a little bit smaller, but I have yet to get one that wasn’t sweet or that was stringy or weird in some other way. So, in summary, I love champagne mangoes and it’s that time of year–cheap champagne mango season. Exclamation point!

I’ve been trying out different kinds of overnight oatmeal lately, but I haven’t had success until I came up with this Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal recipe. The first time I made overnight oatmeal in a jar, I tried using steel cut oats. I’ve read other people raving about using those in overnight oats, but I have TMJ and chewing on them gave me a jaw ache that stayed with me the rest of the day. Not good! I also tried adding cocoa powder to my oats, but it made me kind of queasy–I had to let my husband finish that batch of oatmeal. After purchasing a bunch of cheap champagne mangoes last week, I thought I’d try overnight oatmeal one more time, with mangoes and coconut. And if it didn’t work out, I would stop trying to make this overnight oatmeal thing happen for me.

Pouring almond milk into oats
Well, I guess it’s true that the third time’s the charm, because the Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal was definitely a winner. I find oatmeal to be a little bit heavy, so adding an equal amount of mangoes to the oats was the perfect way to lighten it up. And the best thing about overnight oats is that you do the (minimal) prep work the night before and your oatmeal is done in the morning–you don’t even have to heat it up (although you can if you want)! I’ve been making this with my cheapo mangoes all week and I don’t think I’m going to get tired of it anytime soon.

Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 1 serving

Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal

Breakfast doesn't get much easier (or healthier) than this tropical overnight oatmeal recipe!

• 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 c. mango, diced
  • 1 tbsp. shredded coconut
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. agave nectar

1. Stir together all ingredients in a resealable jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir before serving and add additional milk (for a thinner consistency) and agave nectar if desired.

Prep time doesn't include time spent overnight in fridge. You can substitute any kind of milk for the almond milk, but you may need to adjust the amount of agave nectar you use. If you don't keep agave nectar on hand, brown sugar or honey would both work well in this recipe.

Kiersten Frase

About Kiersten

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies. She loves cooking, trashy reality shows, and Hello Kitty. Kiersten also blogs about blogging at kierstenfrase.com.   Read more from Kiersten →

Like what you see? Share it!

Oh My Veggiemail!

Sign up to get the latest updates from Oh My Veggies delivered to your inbox!

Comments

• Kiersten Frase says

Yup, I had seen them everywhere too and I was a little bit skeptical about the whole cold oatmeal thing at first, but after making this, I’m a convert. After all my trial and error, I think the key is to add lots of fruit so it’s not too heavy.

1. says

Gorgeous photos — as I said on Facebook, I purchased nearly all the same ingredients last week to make this for my son (lactose intolerant and a lover of coconut/mango) but I hadn’t gotten around to it. Glad to hear it worked so well!

2. says

Ohhh- I definitely have been looking into overnight breakfast recipes lately and this sounds fab! I’m not a huge coconut fan though, so I might trade it for something else. I’m also not big on almond milk… does the taste come out strong in this?

3. says

I’ve tried overnight oats a couple of times and had mixed feelings about the results too. I haven’t tried them in a long time though, so maybe its time to give them another chance – this version definitely sounds like a winner! I’ll keep my eye out for champagne mangoes too, since I can never seem to remember which types of mangoes I like better than others!

• Kiersten Frase says

Typically, I kind of have to make myself eat oatmeal–it’s one of those things that I eat because it’s good for me, not because I really love it. But this oatmeal is different! I think it’s the mangoes. :) I just want to eat it everyday!

• says

I had some extra mango from a recipe I made last night, so I used it to make this! You’re right, this was so good, and different from other kinds of overnight oats. I put lots of ripe mango in it, so that every bite had a good mix of mango, coconut and oats….yum! This is a much better way to eat oats in the spring/summer rather than hot oatmeal!

4. says

I’ve never even heard of champagne mangoes – I must look for them! Did you intentionally cut one into a heart in the first picture? It looks so cute!

5. says

Oooh, this would be a nice change from my normal cinnamon-banana oatmeal. I don’t think I would like mangoes, something so refreshing, in hot oatmeal, but in these chilled overnight oats I think they would be wonderful!

6. says

Oh my word! This looks absolutely amazing. I love making overnight oatmeal. I’ve never tried mango in my oats. This will definitely be a nice treat! Thank you for sharing!

7. says

I have to confess, I’m not an oatmeal fan. Don’t hate it, just don’t love it. But mangoes might make me love it, because I love mangoes. :)

8. says

Now I kinda feel guilty that I bought a couple of those mangoes and let them go bad :( I will definitely try again because I literally eat oatmeal every morning – but have never heard of this overnight thing. And you used almond milk, yay!

• Kiersten Frase says

NOOOO! Never let mangoes go bad! Especially champagne mangoes. :) But they are usually very ripe when you get them, so you kind of have to eat them right away. I can’t believe you haven’t heard of overnight oatmeal! It seems to be everywhere lately…

9. c101 says

This looks so good! I’ll have to try it. I’m surprised you have TMJ issues with steel cut oats, I do overnight oatmeal with steel cut oats (I’ve never heard of not cooking them though…so, you bring to a boil and then remove from heat and cover all night) and it ends up way creamier and smoother than any other oatmeal I’ve ever had – no chewing needed.

10. says

I have seen these overnight oats all over the Internet and they look sooo good. I just won a whole case of mangoes so I will be definitely giving these a try.

• says

I did! Can you believe it? I like fruit; but like you, I have to make myself eat it most of the time…..except for mangoes, grapes and watermelon. I could live off of those…particularly the mangoes. I picked up some almond milk at the Coop this afternoon. I’m going to be having this oatmeal for breakfast this week. Yum!

11. says

This looks fabulous! We have been loving overnight cold oatmeal since last summer. I was shocked when everyone liked it. We have soaked in dairy milk, yogurt and water and almond milk. We love to add chia seeds! Can’t wait to try your version. Thanks for sharing.

• Kiersten Frase says

I had planned on including chia seeds in this recipe, but Whole Foods was sold out of them! I drink them in juice a lot too, so I’ve been going through a little bit of withdrawal. :(

I think now that I’ve had oatmeal cold, I actually prefer it that way….

12. Paulina says

I tried this recipe last night and it was my first time trying overnight oatmel. I make homemade oatmeal every morning for breakfast and when i saw this recipe i was super excited to try it. It was out of this world delicious! Have you tried any other fruit combos? (Bannas etc)

• Kiersten Frase says

I’m so glad you liked it! Bananas and cinnamon (like in this recipe) are great in this–I’ve made that when I didn’t have mangoes on hand. I’m also going to be posting a vanilla blackberry recipe this Friday and I have a few more ideas in the works. :)

13. says

Hi! I recently found your blog!! I made this last night. I ended up using raspberries because I didn’t have apricots and no coconut either, but a little bit of agave.

Let it sit overnight and then in the morning added a few blueberries. Was delish!

• Kiersten Frase says

I’ve tried blackberries, but not raspberries–I’m going to have to try that now that raspberries are cheap and in season! Glad to hear you liked it. :)

14. Dollie says

Okay, loving what I’m reading. My question is about oatmeal. I have Quaker 1-minute oatmeal, is this what to use? Instead of nectar, I’d like to use pure maple syrup, what do you think?

• Kiersten Frase says

No, I use old-fashioned oats. I have a feeling that quick-cooking oats may get a little soggy when soaked overnight, although you could experiment and try mixing everything together in the morning instead. Maple syrup or honey would both work in this; alternately, you can add extra mango and omit the sweetener altogether. :)

15. Katrina says

Found this via a repost in the blogosphere. First time I’ve heard of overnight oats. Going to put away the instant oatmeal and give this a try!! Thank you for sharing!

If this is your first time commenting on Oh My Veggies, please take a minute to read our comment policy.