I’m definitely more of a cook than a baker. This is probably a good thing because I have no will power when in the presence of baked goods. However! There are times when I want something freshly baked from the oven and in such cases, I won’t hesitate to whip out my Kitchenaid and get bizzay.
The inspiration for this recipe came from one that was passed around at my Weight Watchers meeting. It included raisins, which I’m kind of ambivalent about. I don’t hate raisins, but they’re just kind of there, you know? So I used dried pomegranate seeds instead. And then, obviously, you cannot have a cookie without chocolate. Well, maybe you can, but I can’t. So I added mini chocolate chips too. Using the mini ones means that the chocolatey goodness goes a little bit further. I enlisted my husband in calculating the precise amount of chocolate chips that I could add without making the PointsPlus value go up. He’s such a swell guy, that husband of mine.
These chocolate pomegranate cookies have a fantastic granola taste and, even though they’re small, they’re substantial enough that one is quite satisfying. This recipe makes 40 cookies and if you lack that self-control like I do, you’ll want to freeze a bunch–thaw them on the countertop or zap them in the microwave for a few seconds before eating.
Hearty little granola cookies with crunchy pomegranate seeds and mini chocolate chips.
- 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. dried pomegranate seeds (if you cannot find them, use chopped dried cranberries or cherries instead)
- 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine ingredients through cinnamon. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and both sugars until incorporated. Add egg and vanilla, mix thoroughly. Add oat mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in seeds and chocolate chips.
- Drop large teaspoons of batter onto 2 ungreased cookie sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden. Let cookies rest on cookie sheets for 2 minutes, then cool on wire racks.