There are a lot of meal delivery services out there, but Purple Carrot is our favorite—not only are all the recipes plant-based, but they’re delicious too! We’re sharing one of their kid-friendly sandwich recipes below.
- 8 oz sweet potatoes
- Parchment paper
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 t cornstarch
- 10 oz Portobello mushroom caps
- ¼ t smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 T cider vinegar
- 2 t turbinado sugar
- 1 onion
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 buns
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Scrub the potatoes and trim away any dark spots; halve them lengthwise and cut each half into 1/4-inch sticks. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with 1 tablespoon oil. Put the fries in a plastic bag or bowl with the cornstarch and toss to coat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat again. Spread the fries out in a single layer on the pan. Roast until they brown and sizzle, 20 to 25 minutes; turn and continue roasting until the other side is golden, 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately salt the fries.
- Meanwhile, wipe the mushrooms with a damp towel; cut the caps into 1/4-inch slices and put them on another rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with the smoked paprika, salt, and pepper; toss to coat and spread them out in a single layer on the pan. Roast, stirring once, until they’re slightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Chop the garlic. Put 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the garlic and cook until it’s fragrant, about a minute. Add the ketchup and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add the cider vinegar, sugar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, 3 or 4 minutes. Trim and peel the onion; slice it into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Put a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, rice vinegar, a large pinch of salt, and 1 cup water and bring it to a boil; remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the sauce and toss well to coat. To serve, heap the barbecued mushrooms onto the buns and top with the pickled onions; pass the sweet potato fries alongside.